Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Young Riders?? Safty Belts/ Seats for bigger kids?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Burt4x4, Oct 18, 2001.

1. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Hey gang my 7yr old boy has out grown the booster/5pt harness chair I usually put him in. So he still ain't all that big for a simple lap belt to work right!
    So what do all you parents use to secure your kids to the rear seat???!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/baja/5099>www.geocities.com/baja/5099</a>

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Duct tape...........LOL Sorry my son isn't old enough to worry about that yet.......Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Gokartergo>KLICK</a>

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

When our kids out grew the car seat we got them sorta like a booster seat, that stayed in the car and it had a hinged top on it that was also a big pad for them to laydown on or in the event of an accedent the would face plant into it instead of folding over themselves w/ just a lap belt. It had a built in lap belt also. Actually my kids out grew even those several yrs ago. My kids are 7 and 9 and have been in the lapbelts for a few yrs now. Dont let them ride in the front tho w/ the shoulder harness, it goes right across their neck!

Also look into Jr dragsters, they have mini seats a 5 pt harnesses! [​IMG]

If ya can't stop.......Smile as you go under! [​IMG]

4. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

They have those boosters for bigger kids Steve you can get that would fit him. My friends son is 10 and has one. He hates it and who can blame him. But the laws here are so weird he doesn't weigh enough to not need it. I'd maybe call the CHP and ask them where to get one. I know they sometimes give em out for free. Better safe then sorry because those same CHP love to hand out those $275 seat belt fines from what I know.....

&lt;&gt;&lt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>&gt;&lt;&gt;
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    I keep trying to lose weight, but it always finds me!

5. Gold Rush

Gold Rush 1/2 ton status

Steve,

Dakota uses the lap belt in the rear seat and I hook up the submarine belt with the lap belt of my 5 point harness when he rides up front. He likes the shoulder harnesses in the front but they just don't fit right on him yet.

David

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.extremeblazer.com>http://www.extremeblazer.com</a>

6. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the local target sells a pad looks like a triangle that repositions the shoulder belt down closer and pads their chest .

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

7. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

They sell a booster seat that looks just like a seat without any of the straps. You use your vehicle's belts, but the childseat gets the kid up high enough that the belt works properly. They work with just a lap belt or with lap/shoulder belt

I think one used to be marketed under the name Kangaroo Karrier or something like that.

John

8. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had my son in a booster high back chair type deal that has a built in 5pt harnes but he is about 85lbs now (he is eating well theas days[​IMG]) so no way he can squezz into that seat.
    Here is what i'm tlkin about....
    www.geocities.com/baja/5099

9. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

The seat my 7 yo has is very similar, except it is designed to use the vehicles belts and the childseat does'nt have belts at all. Could you use the same seat without its belts and just use the blazer belt? The biggest thing with my son is where the shoulder belt crosses his chest (too high) the booster gets him up high enough that it goes squarely across his chest.

John