Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your 2 cents and maybe more?

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 71WhiteBeast, Dec 29, 2002.

1. 71WhiteBeast

71WhiteBeast Registered Member

Well I have been lurking in the background for a long time now trying to educate myself but I still can't decide. I have 71 Sub /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif I consider this my family stationwagon. Configuration is a stock 350/350, D60front/14FF rear 4:56s both locked, 4 inches of lift and 35's on 16x8's. My grand plan: 502 ramjet, tranny?(sugesstions), 8 inches of lift via springs no blocks(thinking skyjacker softride) 37 inch tires. My concerns are pinon angle, compatable tranny to handle horsepower and torque,driveablity, meaning good road manners. Now I could go buy a new Sub at the tune of $45,000 but I would rather put some coin into my 71. So let your dream juices flow and help me make some good decisions on the direction I should go! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Okay! Ready to pull the trigger and get started. How about some suggesstions on where to purchase motor, tranny, lift etc.etc...?
    People and places, good and bad experiences, maybe shops to do some of the work?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds to me like your already 90% there with that setup! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do you live in the Springs? From the description of your rig, I think we may have chatted outside of Home Depot one day. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

As for the tranny, I think that a 4L80E with a bit of beefing would stand up to that 502 quite nicely and still keep the revs low on the highway. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

Get a 4L80E tranny and put a NP205 or doubler behind it. As for lift I would only go 6" and trim alittle that way it isnt too top heavey, and run 37" MTRs. I run 38.5s on my burb with a 4" lift. I had to cut back my front fenders 5 inches. Also have someone build you good 1 ton driveshafts for that kind of power. Your little u-joints wont like that kind of power.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. 71WhiteBeast

/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Yep your are the one who turned me on to K5.

6. HarryH3

I thought that the vehicle description sounded familiar! Weren't we trying to stuff a huge gas grill into the back of your Sub that day? /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. 71WhiteBeast

Yep with the kids and dog (I think) being as helpful as they could be!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. HarryH3

That's their job! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I agree.....it sounds like are almost there!! Let's see some pics of the Suburban!!

Check out my '71 in my sig below. I don't have near the beef that you do. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

10. holyjohnson

holyjohnson Registered Member

id have to say you have your plans all set.
    might want to consider a th-400 with an atlas o.d. with the 502 c.i.
    more money,but 6 gears instead of 3 a lot better mileage in lower revs and a better chance of the tranny holding up to 502 h.p.
    just my 2 cents.
    goodluck

11. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

the 4L80E is basicaly a TH400 with an overdrive in it. you can't split gears, but its nearly a strait boltup, as long as you can get a way for the electronics to function right.

like everyone else said, you've got it mostly done... just need an oversized engine, and you've got it made.

-Rich

12. 71WhiteBeast

13. HarryH3

It's tough to beat these guys for prices on the motor: www.sdpc2000.com /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Finding a 4L80E for a decent price will be tough though. Most yards want $850 for a rebuildable core! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Then you still have to buy a wiring harness and computer to control it after it's been rebuilt. It's the cats meow once it's finished though. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. 71WhiteBeast

I agree on the Scoggins for motor prices do you know anybody who has worked with them? I've had my eye on the Ram Jet but have toyed with the 454 and adding TPI.