Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

your 454 and 700

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by shaggyk5, Mar 25, 2003.

1. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

Quick question stephen, im putting a 454 in front of a 700, but im having flexplate issues, specifically the torque converter mounting pattern. was wondering if you met this problem, and if you did, what was the solution. Ive checked thru all my books at work (work in a parts store) but cant really find a solution. the motor originally had a th400 behind it, in a 2wd pickup....but everyone ive spoken to says the pattern should be the same. i dunno..

thanks. --Matt

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Sounds like you might need to get the dual pattern flexplate. Does your flexplate have six holes or just three?

My 454 was a '74 and I had to take a flexplate off of a newer Small Block 400 to get the right pattern. Any newer one for the sb 400 or the 454 should work though.

3. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

cool. that seems to be the consensus. i didnt even know these dual pattern jobbers existed. thanks.

4. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I had to buy a new one and it bolted right up so I haven't been exposed to the converter pattern problem, sounds like you got your info though.

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

yeah, i found out that ALL the ones i have at work are dual pattern, thats why only one PN came up in the books.

Thanks.