Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

"Your computer is low on virtual memory..."

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Craig Artzner, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Craig Artzner

Craig Artzner 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been getting a little yellow pop up screen down at my toolbar lately warning me about my virtual memory. How do I correct this? I thought maybe if I deleted about a gig's worth of songs and pictures that this would fix itself but it still is an issue. I have Windows XP of course. Anyone ever had to deal with this before?:1zhelp:

2. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

did you do a disk clean up or defrag?? may just need some room

3. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

This would be the first thing to do. If you have some data that you really don't need anymore then delete that stuff first then do a defrag, reboot and see if it goes away.

Virtual memory is just your OS using the hard drive as if it were additional physical memory. If your doing what I think your doing "Mr. scan and photoshop-up everything" then you could probobly use more physical memory added to your motherboard anyways.

If you cant add more phsically then do the defrag and if it still doesn't go away you can increase the amount of room the OS is allowing on the hard drive for virtual memory pages.

Microsoft Windows XP

1.Click Start, and then click Control Panel
    2.Click Performance and Maintenance, and then click System.
    3.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
    4.On the Advanced tab, under Virtual Memory, click Change.
    5.Under Drive [Volume Label], click the drive that contains the paging file that you want to change.
    6.Under Paging file size for selected drive, click to select the System managed size check box, and then click Set.
    7. Click OK three times.

When you are prompted to restart the computer, click Yes.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

This is usually caused by a software problem, but can in rare cases be a disk space issue. I've seen this error a bazillion times on machines with plenty of free disk space (as I'd guess you probably have?).

There's been a worm going around that's been tying up resources and causing this, too.

Your system (Win XP) will reserve and increase disk space as needed for virtual memory. IE, it may reserve 768mb of hard drive space if you have 512mb of ram. Even if it only uses 2mb of this 768mb it has reserved, it will always show the space as 768mb consumed. This is usually in the root of your C: drive, in file form as "Pagefile.sys".
    If you're doing a lot of resource/memory intensive work and the reserved space runs out, windows will automatically increase the space, but will give you the error and perform poorly while it adjusts. If you are actually out of disk space when this happens, you'll have to delete stuff to get past it, but I've rarely seen that solve the problem.

I would guess you have a virus or worm, mostly just because so many systems are being hit with this right now. If your'e tech savvy, start killing processes and see what restarts or renames itself.
    If not, try getting a hold of symantec antivirus, run the latest patches for it, then install the latest definitions, and do a system scan. The online scanners are ok, but some of these more advanced worms can hide from them better.

You can also check this and see if you see anything that looks like your situation:
    http://support.microsoft.com/search...=1033&spid=&qryWt=&mode=r&cus=False&x=18&y=12

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, it doesn't hurt to increase the pagefile size as kgilly pointed out.

6. Craig Artzner

Thanks guys, I'll fool with it tonight when I get off work...yeah the little yellow box says that it's correcting itself of the virtual memory issue. The only other thing I've noticed is the computer will not shut down correctly and when I went to try a System Restore there were no restore points for me to access. :doah:

Other than that the computer runs great.

And thanks in advance to anyone who has any other ideas as well :)

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

If all your restore points are gone I think you have a virus or worm. Better do some damage control soon. something is in there eating up resources.
    The first thing many of these viruses and worms hit is System Restore.
    Also shutdown problems many times indicate a virus/worm

8. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Windows IS a virus. I don't get to emotionally attatched to my PC. Things get squirrelly and the ext. HDD comes out, save whats needed and format that sucker. If that doesn't work you got a hardware problem.

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

:rotfl: :rotfl:

I like to always create a baseline image that can just be restored instead of going through the whole wipe and restore process. Nice and tidy, recover things in one afternoon if you have to hose it. Everyone should have a copy of Ghost.

10. burban89'sgirl

burban89'sgirl 1/2 ton status

lmao F11 is my favorite key couple intense hits and BOOM everything goes bye bye :haha:

11. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Ghost changed the service industry over night. If you had to spend more then 15 min trouble shooting a software problem you were losing $$$. Whip out the ghost boot disk and pull down the image, good as new.;)

12. Strahan

Strahan 1/2 ton status

What you need to do is get more RAM and/or stop having a bunch of stuff open at once. Bring up your task list (ctrl-shift-esc) and on the Processes tab sort it by mem usage, it will show you what the biggest RAM hogs are. Run msconfig and check the startup tab and see how much clutter is in there. Disable anything that isn't really necessary. Just be sure you aren't disabling your AV program or any other important stuff. Another thing I do on machines with low RAM is disable unneeded services. You can Google it and get a list of what is safe to disable. For example, wireless zero config is started by default regardless of whether you use a wireless network or not.. wasteful stuff like that.

I also don't let Windows manage the pagefile, I set it to a static amount. I usually go with the standard 1.5x physical RAM and I keep it on a drive other than the OS drive. Obviously if you only have one drive, don't sweat that.

The ultimate solution is to add more physical ram. Real RAM is way > paged memory and memory isn't that expensive.

PS: Yes, ghost rocks out :) Every time I build a box for a friend/relative/customer once I have it all setup and working good I ghost it so when they inevitably call me six months later when they f' it up with crap I can fix it in about 2 minutes :)

13. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Did you empty your trash can after you deleted those files?

14. Craig Artzner

Yes I did that. I'm pretty knowledgable with computers for the most part :rolleyes:

15. garlicbreath

Nobody called you a noob, but sometimes the simple things can get overlooked.

16. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

...for the most part.:D

17. chevyin

chevyin 1/2 ton status

He is low on virtual memory, not RAM. As stated earlier by a couple others, this is merely a temp file created by windows to use for active programs. Its located on the HDD, not the RAM. :)

18. Craig Artzner

Hmmm...I think I have a picture of kgilly from the mugshot thread...right click, save...

Anyhow, I booted my computer today and there was a Windows update that prompted me to install it. It scanned my entire system and found a worm called "Brontok" something-or-other and removed it and the infected files. Computer now runs great with no more issues (for now). What's this "Ghost" program, where can I get it, and what does it do? Thanks! :)

19. garlicbreath

20. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Craig,

I'm having the same problem with some other strange stuff happening...
    I'll have to go through the same process. I've always got Norton running, but it hasn't found anything.

Strange.

-Ben