Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your dedication level to wheeling of any sort

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Mar 4, 2005.

?

Whats your level of dedication or "extremeness"

1. Occasional Wheeler (When I have time and am in the mood)

30 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. Light action only (Don't want to get too dirty)

16 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Moderate Off-Roader (I try and go as much as I can)

90 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. Intermediate Off-Roader (find anything fun)

72 vote(s)
    23.4%
  5. Dedicated Wheeler (I go all the time)

50 vote(s)
    16.2%
  6. Hardcore extremist (bored when not challenged)

32 vote(s)
    10.4%
  7. My truck is naked (I can't do anything cause nothing runs)

52 vote(s)
    16.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Of everyone I know, there are many varying levels of dedication to trucks, 4x4s and off-roading/motorsports.

There are those who rarely go out with us (lack of money, big families, having babies, work schedules, etc).

Then there are the moderates, who go out about half the time they get the chance, but just aren't into it the other half of the times.

Then theres me. If I'm not progressing on a truck or 4x4 by working on it, then I'm out driving somewhere.

There are the Hardcores, who only go to certain events or wheeling runs which are extreme challenges and require total preparation and spare parts of every sort. If theres no huge challenge, it's boring.

There are the softcores, who own a truck or 4x4 but rarely get dirty or go off road. If its very difficult, they dont want to try it.

There are the intermediates that like to just go and have a good times, whether its challenging or just spinning around.

And again, theres me. Put me behind the wheel of one of my rigs (when running) and I'll twist some stupidly high RPMs, or attempt stuff that I shouldn't and push my vehicles and driving capabilities to my limits... or give me a boredom streak and a 2wd truck (or even a car) and a puddle or hill, and I can still keep myself entertained for a long while.

I guess I'd consider myself dedicated and one who can fall into ALL of these categories. As long as it's 4x4 or truck related, I won't get bored, and I'll probably find it fun. Even if its something that looks like "work".

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I do 4 wheelin for fun but 2 wheels for competition (read: pain, injury...and a massive sense of achievement!!):grin:

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Light action only for this guy. :grin: :woot:I dont wanna break nothin in the parkin lots. Nah just ****in around. I go whenever I can, usually every weekend in the summers and winters. I dunno how that'll pan out this year with a baby. I didnt build it up to just watch my junk sit in the driveway fo sho. I'm gawna stomp it around this summer. I'll be takin my boy out now so alot of enjoyment will be from that as well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well since "intermediate" was the only description containing the word "FUN" I voted for that one.....

This is a hobby and a source of enjoyment for me....if it stops being fun, I'll sell all my trucks and spend my time making decorative nightlights out of old seashells.

:D

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's a progressive disaese. I went from no truck to light to moderate quickly. My wife and wallet have it under control for now, but it will certainly flare up.

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

due to lack of funds and time, I dont get to go very often... but I'm up for any kind of offroading. The terrain doesnt need to be hardcore... I have a 1-ton rig with big tires etc etc and one recent trip I went on there was really one 1 obstacle all day that tested my rig. Thats fine with me, I just like getting behind the wheel and drive'n the beast and hangin out with cool peeps. Thats what its all about,

j

7. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i voted my truck is naked :D

when the truck is done ill go as MUCH as i can. i use to go almost everynight after work.

man i cant wait till my trucks done.

i hate the "wheelers" that say "oh man ill be right behind you and ill go when ever you want or ill pull you out if you get stuck" then they break one thing, and never go again, then they build there truck a little so its a perfectly capable wheeling truck. and they just drive it around town.

i have a friend like this, hes actually my best friend. hes got a 91 jimmy, with a 4inch all spring lift, 8 lug 10bolt, 14bsf thats welded, 35 inch all terrains(i sold him them cuz i needed money). hes one of those kids that thinks his truck is badass and will get pulled over or whatever. and he only goes wheeling if i have my truck

8. gzzgfw

gzzgfw 1/2 ton status

Voted Dedicated, other than family, work and church about all I do and think about. If I lived out west, where you could just drive off road onto slick rock or sand I'd wheel everyday on my way home from work.
    [​IMG]

9. Robert79K5

Robert79K5 1/2 ton status

I just enjoy building my K5. I sit at work and think about what I want to do to it when I get some wrench time in. People don't understand why I don't take it out and beat the snot out of it after putting so much time and effort into making it capable. I just like working on my Blazer, fabbing parts for it and turning wrenches.

When I want to go off roading and get serious I take my honda foreman.

I love trucks and every aspect of them, and I love to watch other people wheel their trucks, but when it comes to me personally I would rather tear up and abuse my quad offroad and tinker with my k5 in the shop.

Im weird :confused:

10. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

Couldnt have said it better myself. I just like getting out of town, and being around other people who like what we do.

11. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Any time I get a chance, but I'm beginning to find myself bored going to the same places I've been and through, so I guess I'm evolving into needing challenge.

John

12. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I would like to go offroading more often but being in residence with no vehicle limits that alot! When I do get home for the summer I'd like to go but there is hardly anywhere to offroad around where I live. I'm hoping to get out to my first real mud event this summer.

13. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

Being 28 weeks pregnant (you have the baby at 40 weeks, fyi single guys) doesn't exactly go well with wheelin or huntin (which is usually what my end game is when I'm offroad). But plenty of time to research mods and make plans for next season.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I voted moderate. I guess I would more identify myself as a "destination wheeler"; I generally go out with the purpose of getting somewhere, as long as the trip there is interesting. A great campsite, fishing spot, hunting area or even just a cool pass or abandoned mine etc. is a great way to end a trip and it keeps the wife happy. There is a shooting range up in the desert north of town and I could be there in about 10 min. if I wanted to, but I generally take about an hour and a half or two going the roundabout way and screwing around on my way there. Although I can see my attitudes changing the more I hang out here.:grin:

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I dont even know how to rate myself. After spending 30 or so years behind the wheel of many, many diferent types of 4x4s. I have come to think of having a 4x4 is just a fact of life. Its a necessity of life I can't live without. I could not do the things I like to do without one. Some days I would have a hard time getting to work without one. To me they are just an all pourpose vehicle that has to do many diferent things. Take me where I want to go off road thru any terrain, and most importantly get me back, and still be able to do duty as a tow rig, grocery getter, daily driver,
    I am not dedicated to wheeling as a sport or anything. It is just something I have always done. Dont think of myself as a hard core wheeler. Sure aint going to throw a big lift, 1 ton axels ect on my K5. Been there, done that, got the tee shirt. It aint where my head is at anymore.
    I just want a dependable user friendly rig that will do what I want it to.

16. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I wheel occasionally but as far as "offroading" I spend more time snowmobiling and ATV'ing than any other offroad sport. I've always had a lot more fun snowmobiling than any other sport.

17. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

:xmas: You'll be adding a baby seat to your truck soon!

Hard to find a woman who likes to go wheeling or hunting being in NYC...

18. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I voted "light action only". I am too old to get into aggressive wheeling anymore like when I was single and younger. When I was younger, I would do the kind of wheeling that took a lot of energy (and a spotter), but now I would rather take an easy fire-road and just kick back and enjoy the scenery.

19. mini_mull

mini_mull 1/2 ton status

It'll be the second car seat, right next to his big sister. We're hard to find anywhere, I don't have any women friends that like 4x4s or hunting, good thing I like cooking, scrapbooking, and other girly things too, or I'd be pretty lonely.

20. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

LOL, I have to admitt, my wife hunts more than I do. In fact, 2 or 3 of the last deer that found their way into our freezer were from her. Last year she went hunting only one day... but shot 2 bucks. Her reason, she's a busy woman, and didn't have time to mess around. :blush:

She's also the reason I have the Detroit for my D60F.. I was holding off on buying one, and she talked me into it. What a gal... I think I'll keep her. :grin:

As for the poll... I started wheelin' 21 years ago when I turned 16 and got my first truck. Back then I wheeled it every day.. like clockwork. Over the years I have always had at least 2 4x4's and at times as many as 4 running 4x4's. There have been years that I didn't get out and wheel much at all. And there have been times that I did. In the last few years I went a little bt here and there.. but was always having to use caution since I was in my daily driver. That's why I chose to get another K5 after selling my old one in 99. I think once I get the K5 built up to a certain point.. I'll be doing quite a bit of wheeling here and there. In fact, i was thinking of getting another dirt bike... but chose not to for the fact that it's more of a solo thing, and I wanted something that i can take my little girls in, and do something off road related, as a family.

So, once it's up and running, I would say I'll be right at the intermediate level. :cool1: