Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

your ideas on longer springs up front

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jul 8, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i am going to be buying custom springs anyway, so here is what i was thinking. if i swap the radiator mounts from left to right and vies versa then that will put the mounting points about ~4.75 inches more to the front.... no i know i would have to triangulate the frame rails move and all. i could also move the front axle foreward by 1.5 inches.... what do you folks thing about this.,
    grant /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Why swap the body mounts? Drill out the rivets holding the spring mounts and swap them side for side and bolt them to the forward set of holes on the body mount. Drill a couple holes for each of the braces and bolt em up. As far as I can tell that would move the front 4" forward...perfect to run 52"s up front.

Rene

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Longer is typically better. You can run into problems with approach angle, so watch that one. I was pretty happy with the approach using the stock front hanger. I don't think I would want it to be worse than that. you can stretch the tail a little bit but you can run into severe shackle angles pretty quick so you don't gain a lot. So basically you have packaging problems for a longer spring.

We've had pretty good luck with our custom springs running in the stock mounts. They get around 12" vertical travel with excellent articulation and ride with minimum hassle to bolt them on.

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I have had excellent results from the ORD/Alcan springs. Currently I get ~14" of vertical wheel travel, but I could get a little more, don't know. I have 15" travel shocks, and use about 14" of the shock, but they are also pointed to the rear of the truck. The springs I have are slightly longer than stock and fit in the factory mounting points with the use of the ORD HD shackles. Very easy to bolt up. The springs ride very well. Much better than any off the shelf spring or custom spring that I have seen.

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

would moving the shackle to the front help with pinion angle at all?
    grant

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Front mounted shackles help with the driveshaft plunge but hurt in too many other areas of handling and packaging to be a good idea. It's still hard to beat what GM gave us to play with!