Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

your opinion, 427, 454, 396.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Silver84k5, Jan 10, 2003.

1. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i am in the thought process of building a big block. ive talked to a lot people, (sometimes we were both drunk you know how that goes) One guy swears up and down that a 427 is the way to go, Another guy suggested a 396, and 454 is just a give in. I kinda want either the 427 or 396 just to be a little bit different. What are your opinions? truck is mainly trails and rocks, occasional mud bog. plus id like to be able to get off the line a little quicker when me and my buddy in his ford are at the stop light together.

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Why not just get a 496. Its like a 396 just better. Personally between 396 and 427 I would go 427. Hell, they made smallblocks bigger then 396 from the factory. If you went 396 you might as well just go with a 406 SBC and get better gas mileage. Not to mention motor parts are alot cheaper. 427 or bigger is the only way to go.

3. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Once you've committed to the "weight" of a big block, you might as well go as BIG as you can....it's all about torque and cubes!!!!

I've got a 396 that most 454's would STOMP!!! It's cool to have a BBC, but you might as well get the most bang for the buck if you're going to do it.... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. motorheadnelson

motorheadnelson Registered Member

You know how opinions are, but I'm a Rat Nut so maybe this helps. 396 is a great engine,it revs high and quick due to it's short stroke. The 427 is the same stroke as the 396 but a larger bore...more bang for the buck(my favorite). High winding AND torque/hp. I have a 460 (.030 over 454) in my Blazer..Lots of long, heavy stuff slinging around, but a torque monster. Don't need to spin em' up high to make them work. I put forged pistons, forged crank, polished/bead blasted rods, ARP Wavelocks, ARP main studs(2 bolt block), Total Seal rings, 2.19/1.88 valves, pocket ported 119 cc 049 heads, block parallel bored, decked, align honed, balanced....you get the idea. Confused yet?

5. Silver84k5

Im completly out of my element when talking about motors, ive never built one, the most ive done with motors is Change carbs, Adjust valves, and screw with the Ignition (msd) i want a long lasting motor, i dont need gobs of HP. im looking for around 400hp give or take, and i dont have gobs of money either. i really really want a 427.... How hard would it be to get 400hp out of a 427? would it be long lasting motor? and What am i looking at as far as money goes.

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I kinda want either the 427 or 396 just to be a little bit different

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a 402 big block? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Dare to be different. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I love my 402. I guess around 350 to 400 hp...Harland Sharpe full roller aluminum rockers, 427 heads, forged pistons, balanced crank....It goes good. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm pretty much never gonna go back to a SB...I don't care what anyone says. I've run both, and the big block wins hands down everytime. Except for the 8 MPG I get. That part sucks butt, but it's worth it I think. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Look for a 502 Big Block. I've seen a few go at fair prices. They've been around long enough that you can find them okay. A 427 will be hard to find. The racers have really driven up the prices on the 427. The 502 will have pleanty of low end torque to make you happy.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

The rod length to stroke ratio of the 427 makes them a sweet running engine. If you're not going to go to something bigger, like a 502, I would choose the 427.

BTW, there's one of those 502 Marine Engines with the EFI FS @ a hot rod shop here in Venture, CA. They were going to drop it in a vette, but the owner has decided to go full resto. Don't know the price, can get the business name &amp; contact info.

9. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

since I have a 396 I say that one, but I havent driven mine 1 mile yet /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

10. motorheadnelson

You don't really need to find a 427...just locate a 396/402 3.76 stroke crankshaft (most are forged), add a markIV 454 block, and have a 427. Of course you need to buy 427 pistons, but you can get cast Sterlings pretty darn cheap. 2 bolt blocks are still plentiful and they can easily handle 600 hp with standard prep work. Rod length is the same for 396-402-427 as 454. 427&amp;454 bore is 4.25". 427 stroke,3.76. 454 stroke, 4.00. Don't try to bore a 396 block to 4.25. Core shift will probably not allow this safely. Hope this helps.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I have to throw my vote in for a 496. There is no replacement for displacement... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

12. motorheadnelson

Ya know, money wise, the best find is probably a mid 70's 454 in a pickup. You can find beat up trucks with 454's if you look. Not long ago there was one down the street for 600 bucks. Hell, you could pull the motor, throw in a ratty smallblock and break even...and get a free 454. Something like that, you may be able to just overhaul it with a block cook, hone, crank prep, resize rods..even if you need to bore it and get new cast pistons, you can still get by cheap. Camshaft, intake, a good 3 angle valve job and careful parts choosing can easily get you where you want to be and stay in budget. Most of the early pickup motors have large oval port heads..049, 359, 241 or 781 castings, with 110 to 119 cc chambers. They breath really well. The 427 heads are closed chamber, around 100cc or so. You need to know which heads you have before you buy pistons, so you can predict compression ratio. 454 parts are actually a lot less than the formidable 427 stuff. I've been looking and forged pistons seem to be the norm for the 427..at 400+ a set. Half or less for 454 cast. I could go on and on, but cost is a large variable. It depends on what you have and what you want. Your local machine shop can give you prices. I prefer a performance oriented shop. May cost a little more, but they are usually very precise in thier work. Bottom line, if you can overhaul a running motor for less than a grand, you're doing good. Up top, you can spend as fast as you want to go. Ok, I hope I'm done with my ratoholic raging...Glad to help if you need. Feel free to message me.

13. Looksback

Looksback 1/2 ton status

Well out of all the big blocks that I know of " 348ci, 366ci, 396ci, 402ci, 409ci, 454ci, 502ci, 572ci" my choice would be the 366ci BB, thay are hard to find but that would be my choice because thay are not that large in displacement thay are not gas hogs "but still a heavy bill". just my opinion

LooksBack

14. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

But the 366 is a truck motor, the tall deck. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I would do exactly like motorheadnelson said...to find the crank and mate it to the 454 block. Its the best and cheapest way to get the 427. I would know as those "true 427" motors fetch too high of coin where you can build one for far less dough. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I am a fan of the 454. You can still get them reasonable and there is no replacement for displacement. If your going to the big block, you might as well go big.

16. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

502 yeah baby yeah

17. Silver84k5

Thx everybody for replys. got some good info, i think im gonna forget the 427 even though i dont want to. And start looking for a parts truck, There enough farm land around here with 10-20 trucks parked in the farmers field, im sure one of them has a decent 454, then just rebuild it, The only problem i have is i dont really know all the "3-angle valve job, Balancing and blueprinting, yada yada yada, and what is needed and what is not, but ill save that for when i have the motor in my garage on a stand. Thx.... BTW anyone know of any good books about building motors?

18. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You need to go 454...since I have a complete one for sale for only $400!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

19. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

Bang for the buck I think you have made a good choice. the short stroke big blocks are better for racing. My advice from here is ask around and find a good machine shop to do all the work that takes specail tools and a good book and advice to do the rest. It's not to hard or expensive to build a good 400 hp 454. But more power = more fun.

20. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'n not post jacking just curious

Shane, you still have that one? thought you tried to sell it awhile ago?

PM me some facts on it if ya could.

-Jeremy