Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your opinion of Goodyear MTR's ...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Topdown, May 22, 2003.

1. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Your opinion of Goodyear MTR\'s ...

Anyone running a set of MTR's? All I have read so far on them says that they are loud, hard to keep balanced, and weak (I.e. flat's)

Anyone have similar or different experience with them? Should I stick with the BFG MT's?

Thanks

2. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Re: Your opinion of Goodyear MTR\'s ...

I doubt they are weak. At the desert race last weekend the truck that was pitting where i was spectating from was running MTR's. He didnt get one flat and they looked brand freakin new after being raced on for 140 miles hard. I also drove a truck with MTR's. They were balanced fine and didnt seem any louder than my BFG Mt's.

3. BiggerIsBetter

BiggerIsBetter Registered Member

I ran a pair of 35's on my old Bronco. They drove smooth and gripped well off road. They were noisy but not as loud as super swampers. As for flats, they have that durawall technology and say they are puncture resistant. I would recommend them 100% /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Everyone says that they wear fast and don't work as well in mud as BFG M/Ts. I'll keep my BFGs, thank you.

5. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I have ruined 1 tire off-roading - stuck a branch through the outside edge. I like em. Better traction than BFGs.

6. 84k5

84k5 1/2 ton status

I have the mtrs and will buy them again. I think most will agree they are better than the BFGs offroad, but the BFGs will wear a little better.

Here's a link to a mud test the mag did. Take it for what you want. http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techarticles/28358/index.html

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

IMO, the mtr is one of the best tires around. Last mag mud tire test I saw showed that only the SSR (barely) and the Bogger (duh) beat the mtr is the mud pit. Lots of peeps use them for rockcrawling stuff too... so I assume they are great on the rocks also...

j

8. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

I'm on my 4th set of MTRs. I've ran the 35s,33s,37s and now some 285/75/16s on my tow rig. Excellent tire for hwy use and off road. Especially compared to a super swamper. Never had a prolbem with balancing them either. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 37x12.50 -15's MTR's that replaced 35x12.50 15's BFG MT's the goodyears are far superior they balanced with less wait And I've yet to have a flat and there not any louder than teh BFG's they replaced plus they perform a lot better offroad I like BFG's but the MTR is abetter tire for what I do ...And they wear decent to not quite as good as BFG's but almost /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I ran 2 sets of BFG muds before getting a set of the MT/R's. The BFG's, like most mud tires, get louder the more they wear, I thought the new MT/R's were about as loud as a set of BFG's with about 70% tread left.

Off-road the MT/R's definitely had better traction than the BFG's, most noticably on the hard packed stuff but I thought they were better in the mud also.

11. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I have owned 33" BFG MTs, 35" BFG MTs, 35" MTRs, and 38.5" Sxs. As for the best all around tire, it is MTRs. The MFG MTs would cup real bad, and go out of balance. Never had that problem with the MTRs. The Sxs rode like a tank till they got hot, then they smoothed out, but were really lound and wondered real bad. As for mud, I got stuck a few times trying to pull my boat out of the water. I dont use A ramp at the lake I got to, just drop in in the dirt or mud. With the MTRs, I never got stuck. The MTRs to clog up with mud like the MTs will. BTW when I got my new k5 last week, I bough a set of 33" MTRs for it /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

12. VirginiaBulldog

VirginiaBulldog Registered Member

my girls jeep has 33x12.50 mtr's and it runs great. my blazer with the bfg a/t's ran quieter than the jeep and wandered less but no real difference in wear and balancing yet. i like the look of the mtr's but the are a little more expensive around here than the bfgs. Haven't had a chance to test the mtr's off-road yet, but hopefully i can talk her into a weekend trip and see what the jeep thing is all about. I guess if i break anything i can just replace it with fullsize chevy parts /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

Best tire I've ever owned. I've driven really fast with them at only 5 or less pounds in em and never lost a bead (315 75 r16) I haven't had one flat with them and I beat the crap out of them. They wear quite well and they aren't as loud as my swampers were. They also don't wear out on one road trip. LOL. My opinion is buy the biggest MTR you can fit and live with. YOu'll be happy. I wasn't too enthused at first but man they are good tires.

14. ducttape114

ducttape114 1/2 ton status

i have 37x12.5x15 MTRs. i love em. have only about 3500 miles so far. cant hear em over the motor on the freeway. have NO balencing weights and i get NO vibration. havent gone on any tire-cutting terain yet so i cant say about that. i would definetly recomend them.

15. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I think this is the tire Amy Bulloch used to win the Legands class at last year's Supercrawl.

16. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

They wear kinda fast, i wish they would last as long as the BFGs. they are great on rocks and good on sand.

ARQ.