Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your opinion on promise rings....

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigOrange90Jimmy, Dec 17, 2003.

1. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I want to get one for my g/f for Christmas. The one that I picked out isn't too gaudy (she's a simple girl) nor too expensive. I can't really afford much right now. This ring costs $240. Am I being to cheap?

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't think that is to cheap at all. What's the ring like?

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

What exactly is a promise ring? /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

What are you promising? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

it should not be about how much it cost.It should be about the meaning behind it!

5. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's a thin gold band with diamonds in it, spaced about 1/4" apart all the way around.

shewheeler...a promise ring is like a pre-engagement ring. I'm promising that I love her and that I'm going to ask her to marry me one day when it's more appropriate. (I guess that's what it is. That's what it means to me.)

6. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    It's a thin gold band with diamonds in it, spaced about 1/4" apart all the way around.

shewheeler...a promise ring is like a pre-engagement ring. I'm promising that I love her and that I'm going to ask her to marry me one day when it's more appropriate. (I guess that's what it is. That's what it means to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh... I see /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

A pre-engagement ring? Why can't you just propose and have a long engagement? I guess I don't understand, but I'm sure she'll love it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I want to get one for my g/f for Christmas. The one that I picked out isn't too gaudy (she's a simple girl) nor too expensive. I can't really afford much right now. This ring costs $240. Am I being to cheap?

[/ QUOTE ]240 bucks??!?!?! on a ring that says I'll promise to eventually ask you to marry me?

my brothers promise ring to his girlfriend was a 5 buck piece of gold colored metal, replaced 4 months later with a rather nice engagement ring. currently, they're still engaged, although my niece is 16 months old ( oops ).

my opinion on the whole promise ring thing, is it's another ploy by the womenfolk to get you to spring on shiney metal, and glittery bits. if you're going to marry her, get her an engagement ring, and go for the long engagement. ( indeffinite fits well enough)

-Rich

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    (I guess that's what it is. That's what it means to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]

You pretty well answered your own question there, brother. All the marketing and flashy advertising out there has REALLY distorted the meaning behind promise rings and wedding rings. Nowadays we're bombarded with BS "facts" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif that you should be spending 2 months salary on an engagement ring. Who the fock do you think made up that rule?

The money you spend means nothing if your intentions aren't pure. Yours obviously are and that's all that matters. FWIW, my wedding ring cost me $60 and amazingly it still(*Paul glances down at his ring finger*) does the trick.

One last note: If your girl is the kind that DEMANDS an expensive ring, be very afraid. True love doesn't come with a dollar sign attached to it(although some may argue that it does come with a pricetag /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

9. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    (I guess that's what it is. That's what it means to me.)

[/ QUOTE ]One last note: If your girl is the kind that DEMANDS an expensive ring, be very afraid. True love doesn't come with a dollar sign attached to it(although some may argue that it does come with a pricetag /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]Quoted for Truth. One of my friends married a girl, with a promise of eventually getting her an engagement ring, and a $70 dollar weding band set ( both thier rings, 70 bones). additionaly, they havn't yet taken thier honeymoon, since neither of them really have the kind of crazy money laying around to do such an insane thing. They had an engagement period of 2 1/2 months, after knowing each other for 3 months. if the time isn't right now, then when will it be? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif oh, and before anyone goes on about recipie for disaster, doom, and imminent divorce, they've been happily married for 2 1/2 years so far, and have a kid on the way.

word.

-rich

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    FWIW, my wedding ring cost me $60 and amazingly it still(*Paul glances down at his ring finger*) does the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Cheap Basterd /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif At least I spent $90 on Mine /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    FWIW, my wedding ring cost me $60 and amazingly it still(*Paul glances down at his ring finger*) does the trick.

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't cheap.

I'm the Cheap Bastard 'round these parts....................

Cheap Basterd /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif At least I spent $90 on Mine /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That ain't cheap.

I'm the Cheap Bastard 'round these parts.................

13. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

well. i plan on buying one for my gf and giving to her on my birthday (aka our 3 month anniversary)... she has showed me ones she likes and the most expensive was 200 bucks... you dont go all out on a promise ring for sure, the wedding ring/engagement ring is where the coin gets dropped IF you are going to drop it.. with that said.. i bought her a diamond bracelet for christmas for what you spent on the promise ring..

14. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

Like you said it's what it means to you.

$240 doesn't sound too bad for the ring, especially if you have the funds, which it sounds like you do.

I know my wifes cost around $100, and then the actual engagement ring and wedding set was only around $300. It was all I could afford at the time, and she would rather have that then the thousand dollar rings we see all the time. It wasn't the size or how much I spent, but that the meaning was there, and she wouldn't trade them for the world now. If she loves you she'll love the ring and not care what it cost, or if you'll ever be able to take her on a honeymoon, even if you've been married going on 8 years and have 4 kids . . .
    oooops wheres that travel agent now? I need to book a honeymoon someday before the kids finish college!

15. 88Silverado

88Silverado 1/2 ton status

Dude....Dont start...It never ends /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

I gave my g/f a promise ring 2 years after we were dating. Cost me $140.

I gave her an engagement ring 2 years later. Cost me $750.

I gave her a wedding band 2 years later. Cost me $1100.

All was quiet for 15 years...and life was good.
    Then something happend /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I restored my 71 ElCamino...I heard about it until she got a 2002 Trans-Am Firehawk.
    I bought a new $2500 amateur radio system...I heard about it until she got a new 2.5 carot wedding band.
    I bought a $4000 Blazer...I heard about it until she got a 4 carot tennis bracelet

Im afraid to buy anything more and in less than 2 years is a big anniversary /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

However....promise rings mean alot to a girlfriend
    If you really love her and want to see if you make it to the engagement (and help keep other guys away /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif ) Buy it for her. If/When you find the right girl, its all worth it. By going the promise ring route, theres not the family and friend BS of being engaged at a young age, everyone wants to start planning your wedding, pressuring for a wedding date, etc. Also, if things dont work out for an engagement, you dont have to hear all the BS about being a rotton SOB for breaking off an engagement, etc.

I think a Promise Ring is a good first move, I was able to string it out for 6 years by going that route before that noose was finally secured around my neck. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

23 years later, were still together...broke, but still together /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Having problems with the quote tags, Bubba? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

[ QUOTE ]
    Having problems with the quote tags, Bubba? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope. Appeared to be a site software problem and I didn't feel like making it perfect since I'm in the middle of a big project these days and can't afford wasting too much time padding my post count. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm in the middle of a big project these days and can't afford wasting too much time padding my post count.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WHAT EVER /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cheap NO, I would try to steer away from diamonds on a first ring however. It makes an upgrade a pain in the azz when the next anniversary (sp) comes around. I got lucky with my g/f I got her a necklace and a $300 ring. She bought my beard racing seat /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif in return. Now if only I could convince her that a cruise is the same to her as a Dana 60 is to me.

20. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Cheap NO, I would try to steer away from diamonds on a first ring however. It makes an upgrade a pain in the azz when the next anniversary (sp) comes around. I got lucky with my g/f I got her a necklace and a $300 ring. She bought my beard racing seat /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif in return. Now if only I could convince her that a cruise is the same to her as a Dana 60 is to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHA