Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your opinion please.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Jan 2, 2006.

?

Sparse 3/4 or Loaded 1/2

Poll closed Jan 7, 2006.
  1. Sparse 3/4

17 vote(s)
    47.2%
  2. Loaded 1/2

19 vote(s)
    52.8%
  1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    Well, Still looking at some burbs. I've hesitated because of this sticking point. Is it better to get a low option 3/4 burb or a highoption 1/2. These are my chouse both are going for about the same price same contition.

3/4 ton auto and air rubber mats bench seats. Sparse

1/2 ton carpet, air, cruise buckets, TBI, Stereo system. PL, LW.

I'm leaning twords the 3/4 for the HD gear. I like to tinker so adding stuff later is OK. This will be my 1/2 daily driver anf winter driver. I will be picking up the kid in the summer with it so AC is in both rigs.

Your thoughts?

2. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

pick the one with the body color that you like.I hate painting!!!

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Depends on what your plans are for it. If you are planing more on road use than not than get the 1/2 ton, 33'' or 35'' tires max will work and the creature comforts will be felt every time you drive it. And 3/4 ton axles are a bolt in option you could do down the road.

4. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

X2 :doah: :haha: :haha:

If you plan on wheeling the 1/2 ton plan on swapping the rear axle, 10 bolt and Burbs don't mix

5. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

3/4 ton. Stronger transmission. I had the same choice as you and I went with the 3/4 ton. However, i do wish I had some luxuries like power windows and door locks, front buckets and so on. But I am glad to have a little stouter running gear. But like it was said, you can swap in anything later. For me, the tranny (TH400) was the deciding factor.

6. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Well both are pretty valued. Both will need paint after the bodywork is done. Hunting, groceries, and kiddies to school vehicle. Solid frt axel

the 3/4 has a 700 and 205 but Owner say's it has a tranny problem. 1984 scottsdale k20 - no AC compressser $800 cash minor body work I need to "fix" the bondo over the factery mirror holes. It has a black stripe down the side to cover up any body work. Good wells.

the 1/2 is a 89 1500 k I assume 208? needs more body work then the '84 but has nicey stuff. PL,PW, AC . I can drive it home. TBI Bad IFS less then 1000 plus 250 taxes title ect/..

I figure over time I can install PW and PL and carpet in the 84 and I like the bench seat. The lack of built in storage bothers me. Both need work I'd do a 4" on the 1/2 to fit 33-35s The 84 is tall enough to run a thin 34 now mabey a zero rate spring ot 2" er. I won't be driving either till fix them or I sell my Land cruiser in the spring. I'm going for the forest service look for my truck taller tire tucked even with the wells.

bob

7. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I say go for creature comforts. Drivetrain parts are easy to find.

8. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I agree. Especially if you are going to take the time to install PW/PL. Get the comfortable one and spend the time and $$ beefing up the drivetrain.

9. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

You lost me with IFS part :confused:

10. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I'd go with the loaded 1/2ton and then down the road swap out the 10botl rear for a 14FF and swap the front to 8 lug!

11. absolute

absolute Registered Member

for that price I would go with both and mesh them together, and then sell what you don't need. you could end up on top!

12. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I agree get both and put the axles from the 84 under the 89. You would get SFA and FI plus all of the creature comforts:D

Ira

13. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Ya, and I'll have to throw a bed in there also, cause the wife will throw me out. Ha!

I thought about the swap job, but I don't need power windows/locks any time soon in the 84. I just figured that would be easier to retrofit them later over the axels. The only comfort I'd want is the AC. My thought was either one would be a decent rig to get into for under 2k. The 89 needs more body work. TBI or a working electric is no big difference to me. From my experience. I'm thought the 89 has IFS I could be wrong. I most likely wouldn't lift it (to cheap).

thanks

bob

14. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Subs, Blazers, and 1 ton crew cabs were SFA through '92 (I think), the trucks switched to IFS in '88

15. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

There are IFS burbs out there. Did you say yet whether you were wheeling or towing? If not wheeling or towing 1/2 gear is good enough isn't it? And really if your wheeling the 14bff is the way to go. TBI is nice. And so are power windows in the big ol' burb. I would rather switch out axles than trying to dick around with installing power accessories!

16. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Your all correct. I would think the 1/2 is more than enough. Most of my wheeling is some rough back roads. I live 20 miles from Paragon and have never ben there. I guess it a comfort level thing, electronics and piddly **** I have no problem with. It's trying to swing an axel around outside. That I've never done. But like most said probable not needed. I guess I just like the Idea of the heavy duty gear and knowing I can drop a cam without to many issues.

All of my TBI experiences , I pretty much leave them alone. I guess I was looking for simple, easier to work on.

I suppose I should have put in another poll option : just wait for a better rig.

Looking locally, most 84-91's are real puss cases and run about 1K "if" you can find one and it doesn't have a plow on the front of it. If it has a decent work-able body then they run $2500+ but still need body work and then fun mods. Nice clean rigs are running $3500+. Still, lots of newer ones on the road Older rigs rot away here.

The reason for these two. One is on a towers lot. He just wants what he paid for it. $800 3/4 ton The 1/2 is an auction with a the limit I said to myself I would pay for it.

Thanks all. My wife is tired of hearing me obsess about this.

bob

17. tch777

tch777 1/2 ton status

Suburbans are SFA thru 91. In 92 they changed body style and to IFS.

18. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i would much rather get the 89. TBI is a blessing. so is power accesories. i'd much rather swap to 3/4t running gear instead of messing with adding creature comforts. thats just me tho. also the grill is better looking.

19. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Nope not neccessarily! Seen 'em a bunch of times!

20. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

I have seen none, please show me one.

:rolleyes: