Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your Opinion

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flyinhi86, Jun 13, 2001.

1. Flyinhi86

Flyinhi86 Registered Member

Currently have 10 bolt axles. I am concerned about hurting the motor and/or transmission with my 35" tires. I am concerned because my gears are only 3:73. My motor is 350 w/ rv cam, headers, edel intake + carb. I want to go to a lower gear but would also like to have bigger axles ready for next summer. Should I just maybe go w 10 bolt and beef them up w chrome moly axlesand lower gear. Your 2 cents.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Start with the 14 bolt FF rear and 10 bolt front with 4:10s or 4:56s. 8 lug.
    You should be able to get that combo for under $600.

Dave

"Visualize Whirled Peas"

3. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    Flyin, you could ask anyone here and they would all tell you, Dump the 10 bolts. You won't hurt your motor or tranny with the 35's as much as you will break the 10 bolts. If you go to the 14 bolt rear and better in the front you will be set. Then you can worry about the tranny, drive shafts etc. No matter what, if you play hard you will always find the weakest link ( hey, maybe we should start a TV show about 4-wheelin called that)

[​IMG]<font color=red>[/b]"Rid'in HigH in my K5"[​IMG]
    ....[​IMG]<font color=blue>[/b]"6" Lift -<font color=purple>38.5's"[​IMG]....

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

All depends how you use your truck. Mine is a daily driver and was a little gun shy at getting 3/4 stuff.... so I picked up a 12B/D44 w/ 4.10's in them. I don't expect an real problems stregth wise cause I beefed up the rear 12B pretty good... but man those little half ton axles look kinda funny under now LOL. Eventually when i retire her from daily driver.... hopefully in the next year or so gona get a body lift and do some trimming for 38's or 39.5's... then definetly want the 3/4 tons w/ some 4.88's [​IMG] Get the 3/4 ton stuff and end your worries for the most part... only the front will give you problems breaking.... then you can become like about half the rest of us scoping for a decent deal on a D60.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>