Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your opinions on....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by thatK30guy, Nov 6, 2006.

1. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

My choices of a DD truck I'm looking to buy sometime soon.

Here in town is a '94 K3500 regular cab with the 454 and 4L80E. It would be excellent for my duties of DD and pulling a trailer or hauling stuff in the bed. The downside is lack of interior room.

My other choices are the '91 V3500 crew cab and '91 V2500 Suburban.

What do you guys who have any of the above have to say about mileage out of each? I want all to be automatics and only the Sub to have the 5.7 liter engine. I just want to know ballpark ranges of mpg, unloaded.

Any of these above have got to be better than my '85 K30 which gets a lousy 5 mpg. :doah:

The other thing to take in consideration is the '94 can be bought for literally cheaper than the crew or sub. Seems like these older '91 trucks hold their resale values pretty good, so, thats the other thing I'm weighing with my options.

Spill the beans. What would you guys say? The '94 is here and ready to go whereas the '91 crew and sub will take time to search and find.

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

My 91 burb got 10 mpg everywhere. loaded, unloaded, hwy, towing 8,000 lbs, it didn't matter the thing just got 10 mpg with a 350 motor

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

My crew cab gets around 8 in town and about 12 or so on the interstate. Of course, mine is a 350 truck so a 454 might get a little better mileage since it wouldn't have to work as hard.

91's aren't hard to find, one might be closer than you'd think. :wink1:

4. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

At those years the main differences are going to be the body. They are all going to be TBI and have mostly the same drivetrain other then I think 94 was the first or one of the first years for the 4l80e.

5. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

91 is the first year for the 4l80e, my "V" series crew cab has one. :pimp:

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Thats what you think. Around here, they like finding hens teeth. Scarce. I'd love to find a pristine '91 Silverado crew, but without paying out of the ass for it, too.

7. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

If the 94 is a good deal, I'd give it some serious thought. The IFS trucks arent as bad as the SFA guys make them out to be, and that rig if running right will probably pull down 10-12 in town and up to 14 or 15 on the highway if you keep your foot out of it. The IFS rides well, too. Initial price is a big factor. That being said, if it's a reasonable option I'd go for the V3500. However, for the premium those rigs fetch in good condition, you may be better off looking for an IFS CC or Burb with the 454 instead. Not sure what your budget or amount of wrenching your wanting to do, 12V Cummins rigs keep getting cheaper, or there's always the option of swapping one into a Chevy. Not sure what kind of towing or how much towing you do, but unless you're going to be hauling 6K+ frequently or have steep grades to contend with, I'd consider running a SBC, especially if you're willing to warm it up a bit. If you're shopping for IFS rigs, the updated interior that debuted in 95 is much more user friendly and ages (read: less shakes and squeeks) better than the earlier interior. I'm not a big fan of the Vortec engines from 96+.

8. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

CREW CAB!!!! That is all....:D

9. blazin_blazer

blazin_blazer 1/2 ton status

i say cc also