Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your opinions please!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbLover, Sep 16, 2002.

1. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

I just came across two 454's for sale. I can get a complete Vortec 454 out of a totaled 99 chevy with low miles for $3750. I can also get a complete TBI 454 w/ 50K miles for $2000. So, what do you think? Is the vortec worth nearly twice the price?

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I've seen low mile TBI 454's around in Central Oregon for $1200. I wasnt really looking just noticed they charged the same amount for the carbed high mile 454 next to it.

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd go for the cheaper one. Even though it's only got 50k on it, I'd rebuild it, and stick in a CompCams Extream off road cam, better oil pump, larger oil pan, crank wiper, good windage tray, and maybe a better intake manifold, aswell as some roller rockers. I'd also consitter headers while I'm spending money on parts.

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I am a fan of simplicity. I would take the T.B.I. system even though the vortec makes more power, the system is a little more complex. Either way, that seems like alot to pay. but I would take the cheaper, add a cam, headers, upgrade ignition, a few other bolt-ons and have MORE power for less than the vortec will cost.

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'd go vortec.

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

TBI here as well, as stated before not so many computer controlled diagnostics.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Mark, check with the guys at Harris Used Truck Parts. They told me the other day that they sell complete TBI 454's, with the accessories still attached for $1,500. The mileage would be a random thing, based on what they happen to have in stock at the time. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. ChevyHuny

ChevyHuny 1/2 ton status

I would go with the vortec but at the same time bowtieblazer is right. The computer controlled diagnostics can really be a pain in the bum.

A 454 Vortec would really have some power though. Wish I could have found one when I did my rebuild. Then again I probubly would not have been able to afford it. I did buy a Vortec350 here for 650. Have you called around more? Some places will charge double or triple then others.

9. HarryH3

If ya really want a Vortec 454, I did a little snooping around and found this brand new Vortec 454 for $3,500: /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

[​IMG]

The details are at http://www.sallee-chevrolet.com/sales.html /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

Does that include comp. and wiring harness?

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Click on the link. NO it does not include the computer or harness, but they are available for a extra fee.

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

1996-2000 Model 454 Factory Production Engine
    They're back! We are putting 20 more of these engines on sale.
    Factory Production 454 Crate Engine Brand new - Fuel injected, exhaust manifolds, water pump, some sensors, distributor, automatic flexplate, and plugs & wires. You can use a carburetor on this engine, but yes, you need an intake and standard distributor.
    We have 20 more of these engines, we just obtained from GM, to offer to our web site visitors and for $95.00 less than the last time we had them on sale.
    Only 15 left now.
    This engine does not include the computer or wiring harness! These can be purchased and are available for non-factory installations.
    1996-2000 Model
    7.4L, V8, 295 HP and 385 Ft/Lbs Torque
    $3,500.00

13. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Damn does that come with vasiline?
    I am lookin at roughly $2500 to rebuild my 73 454.
    Going to 468 and it should produce around 450 - 475 horse and about 500 ft lbs of torque.
    It'll be carbed but so what.
    A carburated engine has always done me right and I like to keep it simple and as trouble free as possible.

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hear ya there. I can turn some wrenches, but I tend to get lost on the newer computer controled electronic fuel injected....ect.

15. HarryH3

Bwaahaaahaahaahaa! If you think that's expensive, check the prices on some of the other 454's that GM sells. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Low Performance:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=129&pid=113
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=129&pid=111
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=129&pid=112
    http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=129&pid=114

High Performance:

http://www.sdpc2000.com/cart.asp?action=prod_detail&catid=120&pid=119

At least this one comes with the intake manifold. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif The Vortec that Sallee is selling is a nearly-ready-to-run engine. New 454's are not exactly cheap. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif So yeah, $3,500 isn't a bad deal at all for a complete, brand spankin' new 454. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Stab a different cam in that bad boy and it would happily shred your tires. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. HarryH3

The cool thing about EFI is that once you have it running, you typically don't have to mess with it for the next 200,000 miles or so. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Every carbed vehicle I ever owned needed to be tweaked from time to time to keep the engine running right. And as they got older, the attention required was even higher.

My EFI vehicles just start and run, every time I turn the key. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I've got 136K miles on the 4.3 in my S-Jimmy and it still runs as good as the day I bought it. I've treated it to a new oxygen sensor every 50K miles or so. 108K miles on the 350 in the '94 Suburban with the same results. 159K on the '90 Suburban that runs extremely well, in spite of the fact that the air filter was installed incorrectly before I bought it, which wasted the rings. /forums/images/icons/frown.gif All of them start and run perfectly, regardless of whether it's 95 degrees or 10 below zero outside.