Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

your thoughs on the d44

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by g-wizz, Jan 3, 2006.

1. g-wizz

g-wizz Newbie

ok for a front axle, what is the biggest tire you can run, short of cutting off the inner "C" and replacing them with dana 60 kingpins. how large of a tire have you guys run with a stock axle housing and lets say superior evloution series axles and ctm joints, under very abusive conditions or similar parts.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

open id say 38's, locked 36's or around there

3. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I have 35" Mtr's, chromos, and CTM's in my D44. In 1 1/2 years of wheeling on the rocks I have only busted one piece of crap OX u joint. Oh ya, I have an ARB up front so it is only locked when I want it to be:wink1:

I like my D44 and have too many goodies on it to go to a D60 right now. I will probably get 37" Iroks on my next purchase and keep it at that. Even with 35's there really isn't much I can't do.

All four wheels turning will make any rig a Monster on the rocks.....lol

Look in my webshots and you can get an idea of what kind of wheeling my friend Chris and I do with D44's:thumb:

4. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

I would say that even with all those parts and a carrier up grade you would still break ring and pinion gears. I ran a open 44 on 37'' boggers under a heavy k5 for a long time and have broken every part in there at least once. Only on full throttle attacks on mud pits however never out rock crawling or running trails. If I was you I'd save up for a 60. The price of custom axle shafts,ujoints and a locker would exceed the price of a 60 and you would still have a weak ring and pinion. Deals can be found on 60's if look around and are patient. Just my .02

5. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

Hey stallion,
    You might want to go over to www.intercotire.com and check the specs on the Irok's. They list the 36 as being taller than the 37!?!?!?! Dont know man just tellin ya what I saw, O and I'm gettin Irok's soon to.:bow:

6. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

That's why I put my K5 on a diet :) No top, doors, tail gate, lots of sheet metal gone, no carpet, interior panels, etc. I just looked at my R&P about a month ago and all is well. I agree with the R&P being the weak link now though. The rig the axle came off of was a Suburban and when I bought it I had to replace the R&P due to chipped teeth.

7. g-wizz

g-wizz Newbie

well what about peformance gears, such as yukon richmond and what ever else there is. i doubt ill find a stock junker of a dana 60 anywhere. they seem to be quite hard to find in southern california.

8. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Save and buy a 60. They are not hard to find if you dont mind spending $900-$1200 for a stock unrebuilt unit. Youll thank yourself in the long run.

9. BIG*RED

BIG*RED 1/2 ton status

Now it has been about 4 years or so since i lived in San Diego, but when I was down there I found a junk yard down by National City (I beleave that was the name) and they had rows and rows of axles just sitting there, and I counted 22 14blts, and 12 kingpin 60s, and 15 ford 9inch rears..along with about 2 dozen 12blts, and 3/4 ton d44....if they still have them..i doubt it..but that place was like a gold mine..oh and they wanted 75 bucks for the 14blt, and 350 bucks for the d60s...I about had a heart attack...but of course, like always, i was flat broke when i found them..But I called a friend that lived in Northen California, and he came down that weekend with a trailer and bought 5 14blts and 3 d60s, took them back north and sold them for a large profit..

So they are out there, just got to look..