Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your thoughts on 77 3/4 sub DD

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by norville, Jan 29, 2006.

1. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

A stones throw from Pargon Mountaintop Pa
    HEy folks,

I'd lke your valued opinon. I'm looking for a daily driver. I found a 77 3/4 4x4 400/203/th350. It's got air f/r cruise 3 rows. The interior is real nice. It has 65k on it it has some sore spots in the rockers and lower half.

Any thoughts on this as a daily driver, grociery getter, for me. The wife has an exploder. I would be running 33's and a mild lift. Will I die from gas bills, is it too big for daily driving? It's got all I want just can't decide if it is what I want. My other option would be a wagoneer or wait for something newer.

Well I just guess I'd like some opinions help to sway me.

thanks

bob

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Nothing wrong with that IMO. Here is my DD

[​IMG]

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Go for it....I fill mine once a week to go back and forth to work, 350+ miles....

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I use my '84 Burb as a DD... and that's because its only a 5-10 minute commute :D I fill it up once a month.

I carpooled with it when work was further from home. A tank lasted 2 weeks then.

When we're both home, my wife always takes it for errands.... its a compact model compared to the truck (crewcab longbed) ;)

If you are looking for economy in a 4x4 wagon, the 80's Landcruisers w/diesel may be worth looking at. I nearly bought one - but I had so many spare Chevy parts that would have gone to waste :crazy:

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Just do the math... Figure out how many miles you drive each week, then divide that number by 11. Now multiply the result by the price of a gallon of gas in your area and you'll be pretty close to your average weekly gas bill. We can drive our Subs for quite a while on a single tank, but the tanks each hold 42 gallons. Filling one of those caverns back up puts a serious dent in the wallet.

6. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

I'm just nervous about less then 10mpg. My 88 landcruiser now is only getting 10-13mpgs. I only have an 8 mile commute and once week I head to town for the girls field hockey game.

I'd love to get a diesel. I did concider doing it to my LC but it's too small now. and I figure a 7 mile commute would be hard on it or just not worth it??? Diesel locally isn't all the common many of the pumps arent even electronic in the local area, but it is changing.

I guess I'd be happy with an even swap with gas milage. I know I won't be gaining any that's for sure.

thanks all

bob

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

That must be a gas one. I thought they were all diesel. :screwy:

I thought the LC was an option as you mentioned the Waggy... they're a fair bit smaller than a Burb also.

8. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Yes gas.

Yes wagoneer, but the LC seats are inboard and I cannot fit 2 car seats and a person in the back seat. So the Wagon onlt give me a little more room which is what I need.

Will a 3/4 77 burb need cats?

bob

9. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Only in Canadia hoser.

10. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

NO nothing needs cats!:haha: Tell you the truth i dont have a clue. But 10 mpg for a 400 sounds pretty good to me!

11. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

i guess my question would be why do you want a suburban? you said daily driver - but is it just because you like them, you want to build it someday, you've got terrain/weather issues, image, what? i like old suburbans, but it would have to be a necessity for me to be willing to steward my money and the enviroment in that way.

i don't want you to take me as judgemental - what ever your decision is your decision, but it kinda bugs me to see all kinds of people driving around in their trucks, utility vehichles, soccer mom vehicles and whatnot simply for image or comfort. i don't see it as being good stewardship of the money they are blessed with to be able to afford it - and i don't see a need to have the negative effects on the environment for those purposes. however, if one were to build a truck which is hard on the environment and the pocket book because there's a purpose behind needing the truck (hauling, wheeling, etc.) that, in my book, is ok. kind of a wierd standard, i know. just my point of view.

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Colby - I think a reality check is in order sometimes.

However, as a handyperson/homeowner with children, I can vouch for the need of a Suburban... the Cavalier and Tracker I had previously still required me to have a pickup or the Suburban available at all times. I can only afford to insure and maintain so many vehicles.

Norville - I'd pick the Burb over a Waggy.... seems like parts are much more available. I don't see the AMC v8s being any better on fuel either. I' think you'll like the long service life of the 3/4-ton running gear. ;)

13. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

Colby, the reality is I want a vehicle that gets 100mpg's has enough power to get out of it's own way. Can take my 3 kids to school. And on weekend ends take the dog, kids wife and all the crap that comes with them to my parents house. But no such luck Oh and it needs to get me to my hunting ground in the winter in a state forest and cost less then 4K. :) I understand your views and appreciate your opinion.

I love the looks of old chevy's I have an 87 swb 2wd I call it my 2K wheelbarrow. :) It's has a 4.3, and I have no comlaints. But I need #2 vehicle that can haul the family, my hunting stuff, I like to travel old coal roads.

U2slow, the waggy I'm lookin at has FI and is quoted to get 17mpg's on the open highway. And is a rust free Tenn vehicle. I know amc aren't the best on gas but I am familure with them. And parts can be pain a to get. Thank you.

I have some must haves: A/C a must not for me I neve use it only for the kiddos. Must be able to fit 2 car seats and an 11yr girl in the back seat. 4wd the county roads can be rough here and I enjoy trail riding. And less than 4K. I love the size of blazers but no acess to the back seat can be a pain. SO I don't have a lot of options sub, the waggy is just slighly larger then my LC, but larger. S10's and exploders fall inot the saem 10Lbs of poop into 5 Lbs bag.

thanks all, I guess I should have given out more info.

The 77 sub is $1500 that's why it's in the running.

bob

14. colbystephens

cool. i hope you didn't feel like you had to justify your answer to me - that wasn't the point. but, that being said, your justification is good and therefore you have my permission. :D i think $1500 is a pretty decent price if it's a good rig. you could squeeze a few more mpg out of an 80's burb w/ teh 6.2 diesel tho -but then i'm a big advocate of diesel. ;)

15. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

No, the justification was for myself. Yes a diesel would be great, I guess I can always convert it later.

Hey colby I enjoyed you write up. I wish my wife was envolved as your GF. The again sometime I'm glad she's not :)

bob

16. colbystephens

which write up? by the way - she's my wife. :D

17. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

"building the rhino" ?? Did you do a montage on this and have a few writeups?

My bad on the GF / wife mixup. Ooops sorry.

bob

18. colbystephens

no not really - i'll just be adding to it as it goes along. i'll probably be adding a good amount this coming week as i get my engine back from the machine shop this week.

19. Mudbone

Mudbone Registered Member

My only concern about the gas mileage would be the the 203. (I am assuming you meant 400/th350/203.) Until recently, I didn't realize that they used the 203 in everything back then. If you are planning on a swap to a 208 or 205, I would think about doing that in short order.

20. norville

norville 1/2 ton status

What are your concerns? Weak or fuel hog. Or both. Will anything swap in easy?

bob