Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your thoughts on this

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by NoReGrEtS, Jul 24, 2006.

1. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

I wanted your guys opinion on this.

I'm thinking of changing jobs. Right now I'm working as a hardwood flooring installer helper. They want me to be a installer, but I get no benefits, no holiday pay and work is always not there. One day its busy and then next week you don't have any thing. I have a buddy that does the painting for http://www.biokustumz.com/ and he needs help doing body work. I have never done body work but its a pay check. My other problem
    is that I may just be able to cover the bills with getting payed $8. and hour but thats it, or should I stay a helper and see what happens.
    I don't know what to do, I have just been so stressed trying to pay bills.F-ing bills.
    just wanted to see what you guys had to say about it and just get it off of my chest
    thanks
    Shawn

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Welcome to my world. We stress all the time about bills. They seem to magically get paid just in time but that does not reduce the stress. From what I've been watching lately I would turn and run from the housing end of things these days at least down this part of the world. Go try body work. Who knows. Maybe you have a previously undiscovered knack for the stuff.

3. sikZ28

sikZ28 1/2 ton status

Choose the one that you think would make you happier.

Seems to me that no matter how much you make, its always a b!tch to pay bills and make ends meet.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If it's not a dream job don't do it unless You have no other choice. What is it You would really like to do as a career?

5. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Make your own options. It's what America is for.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'll be honest. It sounds like both options are dead end jobs, brother. I think it's time you sit down and really figure out where you want to go in life. Do you want job satisfaction, big money, the opportunity to move around, flexibilty, etc...? What training do you have that will lend to a career that fits into the categories you consider important?

Once you have a goal, kick ass and work as hard as you can to get what you need. Success involves sacrifice, so if you're not willing to give you're not going to get anything in return.

7. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

well I understand what your saying I just get board doing the same thing. I know to move up you need do stay and stick it out but I like to learn new things. I have done pluming for a year that was cool while I learned most things,same with flooring I have done it for about 4.5 years and I know how to do most flooring, I just like to learn as much stuff while I'm still young.
    I just don't know if I want to do body work. that is way I was seeking some thought on this to see what others have to say, not to tell me what I should do. just want to clear that up. I would like to build my own house so that is why I keep staying with construction, Id like to be a general contractor but I don't know how that would go. I don't want to get stuck doing some thing I hate

Shawn

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

honestly, being your age, and knowing what its like to be flat broke. CanCan is right. find something steady, that pays decent. 8.00/hr to do bodywork is a joke, i know guys working in dealerships banking 25.00/hr, custom shops nearly double that (but you gotta be GOOD ), and independent bodyshops go for around 17.00-20.00. certifications help with the payscale too.

is the 8.00/hr a start pay only? what is the rest of the pay scale like? you could really be onto some potential with that. the way your post sounds, your buddy runs the place. any chance of trying it out part time to see how you like it/how good you are? maybe in some of your down time with the other job you could pick up some coin there. :thinking:

9. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

well I have a week off on the 7-11 and I was going to see if I can work that week and test the waters.$8. an hour is weak but that is starting out and I can also work with the fab guys. They are all friend of mine just the body guy needs help though.

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

The only bodywork guys I know who are happy about being bodymen are the guys working in the custom shops.

the guys I know who work in crash shops tell me the job has made them miserable old men before their time. You can make money there, but you have to be fast, and know what corners to cut. Maybe construction is the same, I dunno, but at least you won't have to breathe those nasty paint fumes..

I agree with paul.. think about the long term future, and pick something that won't be a dead end years from now..

Tom