Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your thoughts on using a 16' trailer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 8_YOUR_H2, Feb 5, 2003.

1. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Your thoughts on using a 16\' trailer

I would love to be able to go out and pay for a new 18' trailer, but I have the opprotunity to get a 16' trailer for a very cheap price. I think I can get the tongue weight down by backing onto the trailer and putting most of the engine/D60 weight over the trailer axles.

Any input from the crew? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Thanks
    Brent

2. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Re: Your thoughts on using a 16\' trailer

I borrowed a buddy's 16' trailer to pick up a '77 1-ton longbed pickup a few months ago and seemed to do fine. Originally I was worried abou having to pull the truck too far forward and thus have too much tongue weight, but it turned out okay. The one thing that definitely helped and I would highly recommend is a weight distributing hitch. The trailer was already set up with this system and I used, I think, 750 lb. bars. Even with the front tires of the '77 pulled to within about 18" of the front of the trailer my 1/2 ton pickup sat just a little low in the rear(it normally sits about 2" high in back) and towed very nicely.

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I think you will be fine with a 16 footer as long as the rated haulling weight of the trailer is at least 7000 with dual axles...

And I wouldn't haul your rig backwards ont he trailer. It puts too much weight on the rear and pull too much weight off the rear of the towing vehicle. This will lead to some very scary situations!!!!!!! Trust me I have been there! 1st time I(well my Dad was driving) my Jimmy we loaded it backwards on an 18ft trailer. We were heading down a hil at slow/normal speeds and when my Dad would touch the brakes to control speed the trailer would literally pushed the rear of the tow vehicle(full size conversion van) to the side! He would let off the brakes, it would straighten out, but apply the brakes again and it pushed to the other side.

Granted this could be helped wit trailer brakes, but we didn't have them on that van. If you do have them I like them adjusted so the trailer brakes grab a hair harder than the tow vehicle brakes, this helps to keep things straight when braking. But I would still not recomend towing with the Blazer ont he trailer backwards!!!!!!!! Not enough weight being put on the rear of the tow vehicle.

4. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

Itow my 88SWB on 16ft behind 24ft camper and have been fine so far.Have hauled friends longWB K30 on it behind my SWB and as long as you balance load on trailer axles it works fine.Towed a SWB on it backwards and that won't happen again.Cant balance load right.I don't have equalizers for mine,that would help with any load and trailer brakes should be there. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer in TENN. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I borrowed a friend's 16' trailer to tow another friends Suburban to a mud race. We didnt have any problems.

6. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

I have always towed my K-5 on a 16' trailer. The one time I used an 18' it pulled like [censored]. The tongue weight was not enough and it would start to fish tail at about 70mph. With a 16' I pull up till the rear tires touch the fenders of the trailer and it gives me 650lbs of tongue weight that works out perfect. Only thing is I have to take my ramps off once the K-5 is on because if I try to tilt them up they hit the back bumper so I have them set up to come off and turn around where they ride on the rear.

7. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

You should buy my gooseneck trailer.... You can make it perfect......