Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your Tool Choice

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazerpro79, Sep 11, 2005.

1. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

hey guys... what kind of tools do you guys have and use. i work in a shop where it is dominated by snap on, matco, and mac. i have mostly craftsman, pittsburg, or central pnuematic stuff. the guys give me a hard time one in awhile... what do you guys have and use?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most of my stuff is Craftsman.

I'm convinced that the main reason that Snap On, Mac, etc. sell so many tools is the simple fact that they will finance them. No one will EVER convince me that a set of Snap On wrenches is really worth 7-10 times the price of Craftsman. :rolleyes:

3. gauder

gauder Banned

Anything with a lifetime warranty is good enough for me. Craftsman, Mastercraft (it's a Canadian brand), Husky......

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

All of my hand tools except for hub bearing socket are craftsman. Air tools are central pneumatic.

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I agree that most people choose snap on ect because they can finance them, the price is just pretty high for most people to buy out right, I like craftman, I grew up with my dad liking his, and I like mine,

however there newer rachets drive me nuts, :crazy:

6. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No doubt, I buy craftsman because it's cheap, comes with a warranty, and I can go to any sears store and get them replaced (not very easy to find a Snap-On truck when you don't work in a shop) but their new ratchets drive me up the wall, I wish they'd go back to the old style.

7. muddyblzr

muddyblzr 1/2 ton status

i started out with my dads tools which are all craftsman, and husky. both brands have done us good over the years.

8. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

75% craftsman. and big tools like air and stuff snap on .

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I use mainly Craftsman tools because they work well and the price is fair. I also like that if I break on I can head down to Sears and replace it with no questions asked. I don't like to have to track down the Snap-on guy if I don't work at a shop he stops at.

Harley

10. wildbilzrydn

wildbilzrydn 1/2 ton status

I've got alot of tools, and the breakdown is at home, it's mostly craftsman and at work, it's mostly snap=on. I started out my career using craftsman, S&K and other brands, and as I've been able, I've upgraded to tools I use at work to snap-on.
    I'm not a pitchman for snap-on and I emphatically agree that no set of wrenches are worth $400-500, but snap-on quality is really better than craftsman and their tools are better engineered and more comfortable. I really suggest that you guys who can get a set of their racheting screwdrivers.
    I also think that it's not so much the tool, but how you use it, and I really have only broken about 10 different tools in the 21 years that i've been using hand tools (mostly crescent wrenches and craftsman ratchets)

11. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

i do notice a big sence of pride in owning some nice quality tools, if they are something you intend to keep and enjoy for a long time then it makes sence,

I just know a few prof mechanics who got them selves is a pretty steep dept with the use of a tool truck

12. 79chevyk10

79chevyk10 1/2 ton status

Because I wrench for a living and use them daily and on my stuff, there is only one choice. SNAP ON. although I do have some MAC and MATCO.

13. blazerpro79

blazerpro79 1/2 ton status

a guy in my shop just dropped $5000 on a new matco toolbox. its really nice, but not my cup of tea. if its your profession though i understand you need serious tools, and if you work in a shop, you have the conveniance of the truck driver stopping in everyweek.

but the pride of owning a top brand tool is great.

i have fallen in love with snapons screwdrivers, they are $99 for 8 of them (4 philips, 4 straight) but they are very very comfortable and the blades are machined so well.

14. 86chevybanshee

86chevybanshee 1/2 ton status

i got mostly craftsman stuff at home and mostly mac and a few snap on tools at work also a few cornwell items

15. zeroz400

zeroz400 1/2 ton status

Amen to that!! That screwdriver is so nice and handy! My little personal box is snap-on, i got 65% off through school and i was supposed to sell my little quad for it, it cost $800. The tool box in the garage has a little snap-on, mac, matco but mostly craftsman. I prefer snap-on ratchets over craftsman, they dont break as easily, more comfortable and finer clicks. Definately recommend paying money for good ratchets. Thats my $.02

16. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

Mostly Craftsman. I used to have a LOT of Snap-On stuff, but some douche bag apparently liked them more than me and decided to take them all w/o my permission...

Oh, but Craftsman ratchets SUCK. I doesn't matter if it is a lifetime warrantee if you have to replace it 3-4 times a year... what a PITA.

17. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Craftsman sockets, ratchets, metric wrenches and box, Pittsburgh SAE Wrenches (Polished and Black Oxide), Central Pneumatic Air Ratchets, die grinder and drill. Ingersoll Titanium 1/2". Ingersoll will be the only impacts I'll buy. I see no sense in buying a Snap On impact that costs twice as much and STILL doesn't have the balls the Titanium does. Suggestion : If you buy a titanium, set it on lowest setting till you get used to it. These guys VERY easily torque bolts over 300 ft.lb. Don't want to find that out the hard way when you're doing rods and mains on an N14 Cummins.

Why should I pay $8,000 for a snap on roll away box when I can buy a top and bottom (26 drawers) 56" Craftsman Professional for $5,000? DON'T BUY MATCO ANGLE SOCKETS! Actually, most Matco stuff besides their boxes is crap, at least from what I've seen. I'm buying the Snap On flex sockets one by one. Guy wants over $200 for 1/2" thru 3/4" - 1/2" drive sockets.

18. Jemaddux

Jemaddux Registered Member

Well I will say this and you then decide. Have Matco torque wrench and payed about 150 for it. It broke after a couple months I ran into a matco truck and the guy told me I would have to send it out, have it repaired at 125 and then pay for return shipping and this would all be done within 6 to 8 weeks. Now, craftsman, walk in the door of any sears and they replace in on the spot. Harbor freight, walked in with a two year old 2 ton floor jack with a blown seal and asked for a rebuild kit, gave me a new jack with no questions. Snap on and Matco are a joke. In all these years I have never seen anything worth the price. :haha:

19. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hand tools are all Crafstman. I have a tendancy to forget which tool is which and break them from time to time. :doah: My air tools are HF - inexpensive, work fine and I really don't use them that often. I do agree that Crafstman rachets suck, but breaking them ensures that there is always a new clean one around.

20. hero

hero Registered Member

Sears won't replace their torque wrenches like they do with any of their other hand tools. I took mine in, and they told me it had a 90 day free replacement, otherwise it was something like 1 year they would repair it for you (not for free), and they had to send it off for a few weeks.