Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Your Vote does count.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thunder, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The importance of voting was really driven home to me this election. My county pretty much won it in Nevada for President Bush. nevada's 5 electoral votes pushed President Bush over the top and on to victory..
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    From the Elko daily free press.

Nevada Sends Bush Over The Top - Elko County votes 78% Bush

ELKO - Elko County voters played a historic role in the re-election of George W. Bush as president of the United States.

Voters in Elko County accounted for more than half of the president's winning margin in Nevada, which proved to be the state that gave Bush the needed electoral votes to capture a second term in the White House.

Bush carried Nevada by a 21,567 vote margin, or a 50-47 percentage edge.

Elko County returns accounted for more than 50 percent of that margin when voters cast 11,935 votes for the president.

Nevada swung the national election tally that led to the concession this morning by Democratic challenger John Kerry.

County voters cast ballots for Bush by a 78 percent to 20 percent margin.

Elko County Commissioner Sheri Eklund-Brown said there was an air of tension at the Republican Party election night gathering that Elko County could elect the next president.

"We thought if we could push that over then Bush would carry Nevada and give him the 270 electoral votes so that we could be the county that helped Bush carry the nation," she said this morning.

She said she was ecstatic that Elko County was pivotal in providing the margin of difference in the election.

"I am just very proud and excited to be a part of the process that helped the president win," Eklund-Brown said. "We are all very excited about our role in helping the president get re-elected."

Commissioner Warren Russell noted the historical context of the Elko County vote.

"I think this is a proud moment for Elko County to be so instrumental in electing our new president," Russell said. "President Bush is going to be on our side in two areas that are crucial to our state and that is mining and agriculture."

Nevada, with its five electoral votes, had long been considered a battleground state by both parties in the race for the White House and in the wee hours this morning this important swing state swung for the incumbent president and gave him the winning margin in the electoral college.

National election returns late Tuesday night showed Bush stalled at 269 electoral votes, or just one vote shy of winning the electoral college, while the Nevada returns dangled like a hanging chad.

Kerry grabbed a lead in the early returns that were dominated by the Las Vegas area, but as the rural regions of the state began to report, Bush chipped away at Kerry's margin and eventually won Nevada.

Among those rural returns was the massive turnout for Bush in Elko County.

"Once again we showed our importance to this state and carried it for the president," said County Commissioner Charlie Myers.

Elko Mayor Mike Franzoia said both the Bush and Kerry campaigns anticipated the power of rural areas.

"That's why they thought Elko was important," Franzoia said. "It's why Cheney came here and Kerry sent his people here. I'm glad Nevada pushed it over the top."

Elko City Councilman Jim Conner agreed that both parties knew Elko County would be important.

"I think we elected the right person. They're no longer taking us for granted," Conner said. "Elko County votes matter. . . look across the country and the rural states came through."

Elko City Councilman Glen Guttry said he expected Elko County to be a large factor in the election.

"I think it was expected. Elko County is a Republican stronghold," Guttry said. "I was glad to see the voter turnout. Nevada is the one that took him over the 270."

A Democratic blitz in the final two weeks in the county that included campaign stops in Elko by Elizabeth Edwards, wife of John Kerry's running mate John Edwards, former Gen. Wesley Clark and swift vote veterans, helped the Democrats turnout 3,047 votes out of 5,400 registered Democrats.

However, the visits apparently did little to sway the huge pro-Bush support in the county.
    ------------------------------------------------------------

It was pretty cool to be a part of it. We had a grass roots "Get out the Vote" movement here. We walked neighborhoods,distributed fliers, called people, and manned a Ride hotline for anyone who needed a ride to the polls.
    The was the funest election I can ever rember.
    Dick& lynne Cheney even came here to do a rally on our High school football feild. About 1/3rd of the town showed up to cheer him on. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    Hee! hee! hee! When the Edwards people came only about 200 bored people showed up.

I think its Great! A bunch of us hicks in a desert cow county had a major effect on the election. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

But we didn't do it alone.
    My hat's off to all of you who got out and voted (Even if you voted for the wrong guy /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif)
    God Bless America /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif