Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You're going to hate this: another tire thread!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chevy305, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ok I just really want to know what are people's opinions on Mickey Thompson tires. I will be getting new tires after I do a 3/4ton swap and I have to get new rims and I want to go bigger than 15in rims because I don't want to have to grind any calipers. So I will need new tires because the ones I have now wouldn't fit on the new rims. I currently have BFG All Terrains at 35x12.5 r15. They are decent but I want to change it up a bit. ​

My question is based on road manners (quiet is a big factor) and off road ability espcially in mud and snow. I like radials because they are more road friendly. How about normal wear? Also I've heard that the Truxus mud terrains are awsome. What your opinions on the Truxus muds and the Mickey Thompson Baja Claw Radials?​

[​IMG]

2. bowtiepower00

bowtiepower00 1/2 ton status

I did a search about tires the other day and there were plenty of posts about both.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a friend of mine runs a jeep shop, he has never had a trxus balance up without lots of weight. doesn't matter the size of the tire, rim manufacturer, rim material. he just ordered in a set already mounted on weld wheels, which tend to be very well balnced wheels. they were 31-10.5R15 everyone had 8 ounces or more.

4. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

Yeah my trxus Mts didn't balance well. I ended up only balancing the fronts only and I was surprised that they rode pretty nice and Im real happy with their off-road capability. I work next door to an off-road shop and we do all the alignments for them. I drove a durango that had 33 Mickey baja claw radials and I thought they rode terrible. real bouncy, your can feel every lug hit the ground and all i did was drive it from the back of the shop to the front.

5. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I love my MT Baja Claws, Bias-Ply none the less. Period.

That being said if you aren't into noise then without a doubt don't get them...they are noisy as all get out but they ride well after you get them up to speed...under 10mph sucks but after that they are fine, just have to get the lugs moving fast enough, lol.

I don't know what to say about the Trxus series first hand....my buddy runs them (Trxus-Mt) on his dd/tow rig and he loves them, great mileage and he said that they are wearing very well and handle the towing great.
    The STS's look bad ass in my opinion and for the road/sand everyone says they are great but I guess keep in mind what GMC4cw said.

-Avery

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I am running Goodyear MTR's. they balance well and wear well. I have 42K miles on them now and will get some more out of them. when they were new they were quiet. now they are getting loud since they are almost done.

People will tell you they are no good in the rain. I oersonally have never experienced that. I have wheeld them in the rocks, mud, sand, snow, ice. they are flat out great tires.

Friend of mine just got the Mickey Thompson Baja radial MTZ's. they balanced OK but they are loud from minute one. Has had them about a week now.

7. Slapperbar

Slapperbar Retired Navy NDT Examiner Premium Member

I've got Mickey ATZ's on my '91 'Burb 265/75R16 load range E. The ride is AWESOME! They seem to be waring well also. A buddy ownes a 4X4 shop and loves to sell claws, they ware out fast.

8. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Being 'poor' and not having the money for multiple sets of tires I've been running BFG's as my all around tires (I got 70,000 miles out of the last set!). both MT Baja Claws are awesome off road tires PERIOD. As a DD though, is another issue.
    That's why I'm going to military tires (grave diggers) on my up coming project (inexpensive, F-rated, mil-spec, 42 in, did I mention inexpensive :D ?!).