Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You're gonna like this!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by J.C.Staley, Aug 14, 2001.

1. J.C.Staley

J.C.Staley Registered Member

You\'re gonna like this!

Finally got the 84 out to the shop for the new motor. Had to give up on the 383 and going with a high perfromance 350. (money and emission issues). Anyway, had it towed out Friday. They went out to push it in this morning so we could get started and found it up on blocks. All four wheels and tires gone and 2 lug bolts sheared off. I didn't really like the aluminum(?) wheels but the tires were brand new Kelly Safari 33x9.5x15s. Really pi$$ed me off. The cops got some good fingure prints and much to my surprise the wife had covered the K5 with comprehensive which covers, amoung other things, theft. But this was after getting called in to work at 0200 this morning. This week sucks already and it's only Tuesday.

2. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Re: You\'re gonna like this!

What a way to start your day!! Some people have no respect!!

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

That's what happens when you live in Utah. That sort of thing never happens here in Los Angeles.[​IMG]

Seriously sorry to hear it.

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album</a>

4. Mreetz

Mreetz 1/2 ton status

Hey John, where in Utah?
    I used to live in Bountiful.

1984 K-5
    4" lift
    35x12.5 MTs
    buildin a 400 for it, any info greatly appreciated

5. J.C.Staley

I'm in Ogden. If everything goes well I'll be back on the road with the K5 on Friday. I've already ordered the replacement wheels and tires and the engine will be in and running Friday so we should be good to go. Some day I would really like to catch someone in the act. A thief is the only form of life lower than a syphillis germ.

6. LittleJimmy

LittleJimmy 1/2 ton status

Sorry to hear that man. But at least you had insurance....

7. J.C.Staley

Does anyone have experience with locking lug nuts? I've never used them (obviously) but I've heard some not so good things about them like you can't get them off sometimes even when you have the key. Funny how something like this makes you re-evaluate your attempts at security. It could have just as easily happened infront of the house.

8. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

locking lugs help some what, but you can just pound a socket on them and get most of them off... (had a brother in law that used to work at a Big-O) I do think they would hinder the common theif, but anybody that wants to get your wheel's will get them anyway [​IMG]

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

9. Prembird

Prembird 1/2 ton status

ive used locking lugs before.. i have never had a problem getting them on or off... BUT MAKE SURE that whoever takes them on and off does not use a impact on them.. you will end up striping the key or the lug... Atleast not to at full blast that is.. you can use am impact but do it slowly or your goin to ruin them...

Prembird
    [​IMG] <font color=blue> If it aint</font color=blue><font color=red> LOUD </font color=red><font color=blue> Then turn it </font color=blue><font color=red> UP</font color=red> [​IMG]

10. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

The only problem i could see witht he locking nuts is that crud could get jammed into the keyhole

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

11. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

GM used to make chrome lug nuts (as well as plain steel) that the key slips over the entire nut and the key is actually on the sides of the lugnut itself. Real swift idea, and works good!

I get all the excercise I need pushing my luck![​IMG]

12. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

13. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

GM used to make chrome lug nuts (as well as plain steel) that the key slips over the entire nut and the key is actually on the sides of the lugnut itself. Real swift idea, and works good!

<hr></blockquote>

hey, anybody know if gm still makes these, and have a part # by chance???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff</a>

14. Pure Insanity

Im not sure if GM still sells em or not I just remember a friend having them on his 1st gen Camaro and seeing them on the wall at the Chevrolet dealer I worked at at the time. ( 1989 ) Best bet would be to just call a GOOD parts person and see if they can find em. If they do still sell them they are kick a$$, and Id like a set, just havent looked for them yet.

In fact my friend bought 5 sets and ALL of his lugnuts were locking. It looked kool and all but having to carry 5 keys would bite!

15. Pure Insanity

1 more point, some company sells sockets that are tapered and reverse threaded to "bite" onto a smooth locking lug and will remove them.

16. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,

I've got a set of Gorilla locks on my 71 Blazer.They're like the G.M. ones in that the keyed part is on the outside of the lug.The key that comes with it is a socket with coresponding knobs and valleys to the locking lug.I think the part# is 7147N,at least that's what it says on my receipt.

<font color=green>BobK<font color=green>

17. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

up GM still makes and sells these nuts... we order them everyonce and a while. I tend to think it is more hassle then it is worth and anyone who has fought these busted lock nuts know it is a royal PIA to get them off most times. I personally would just get a good alarm that will sense if the vehicle is jacked up or messed w/ like that

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</a>

18. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bummmer Theft sucks! Sorry to hear that.

I have removed several "locking" lug nuts w/o the key. As part of my job, I deal with used cars, so, by the time I see 'em, the key getts lost.
    The Ford style, with the key that fitts on the top of the lug nut and has smooth sides- Those are by-far the hardest to remove w/o the key. Chrome locking lug nuts are better than the soft-metal ones (I assume thesoft metal ones are what you guys are saying is the factory locking lug nuts- don't do it)

With the key, I have had very little problems removeing lug nuts, sometimes they stick in the socket, but they come off the stud the same way as all A.M. lug nuts.
    For the record, A.M. lug nuts seem like the threads are not cut with the same acurecy as the factory lug nuts, and therefore, seam to strip the studs more often, but thats related to speed of removel, and rust.

So,
    Get a full set (24) of chrome locking lug nuts, internal or external- eather way should stop most thieves. If you really want to stump 'em, toss in 4 ford style lockers.

But, if someone wants it, they'll get it. The only thing you can reallly do is slow them down.

BTW
    Clearfield Ut, Work in Woods cross Ut.

<font color=white>It's good to be out</font color=white>
    <font color=white>Out of my mind and out of control</font color=white>
    <font color=blue>Twiztid</font color=blue>

19. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

Reply to
    That's what happens when you live in Utah. That sort of thing never happens here in Los Angeles

do they just take the whole car there?

20. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

get a set of gorilla nuts. one per wheel is all you'll need.
    like they say, you're just trying to slow them down.

p.s. the shop should cover the theft, unless it was at a buddy's house. businesses have to have coverage, and your truck would not have been hit if it wasn't in their lot.
    trust me, you don't want the increase on your insurance.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by delta9blazer on 08/15/01 08:44 AM.</FONT></P>