Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

You've gotta see this.......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muddytazz, May 3, 2004.

1. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You\'ve gotta see this.......

Check out this D44 on ebay. You've gotta read the description they put, and the price /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: You\'ve gotta see this.......

[ QUOTE ]
    Axles have been criogenticly frozen by machine shop to increase strength and durability.

[/ QUOTE ]
    WTF!? /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Link doesn't work for me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I looked at it again and saw that it's in OK. Okies do stupid poop like this all the time...it's the norm... /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Here is the ebay item number if you want for some ODD reason the link doesn't work

6. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

the new CTM shafts are cryogenically frozen, supposed to do something to the molecules in the metal to make it more dense, and in turn stronger. Who knows...?

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, but a machine shop doing it? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A new thing the folks at CTM are working with. Supposed to line the molecules up straighter for more strength and fewer surface irregularities.

If he gets a 1000 for that, I will start collecting them in all the scrap yards and undercutting his price /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif How does 800 sound??

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

9. or2play

or2play 1/2 ton status

Are you kidding me???? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Thats close to twice what a bought my stock dana 60 for and I bet its still stronger than this "cryogenticlly frozen" dana 44. But hey, I could be wrong.

10. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

cryotreating axles makes the molecules line up and organize themselves. when the metal contracts from the extreme cold, it forces the molecules into alignment. when the axles are heated back up to room temperature, the axles expand, but the molecules stay aligned/organized, so there are no stress risers or imperfections in the metal.

but damn, thats more than i payed for my ford D60 /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

actually cryogenics is a bad idea. CTMs are heat treated, cryoed then heat treated again. Good process, just cryoing is a bad idea. WHenever those shafts bust they will turn into little shards of metal flakes that will ruin everything in a housing.

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

My internet is messing up, I'll try tomorrow...

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    tracktion

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Checkout his other auction
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33728&item=2477242881

/forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

He really goes a long way with his descriptions. No way I would bid that much money with such a stupid description. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

15. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not trying to high jack, but liquid nitrogen can be supplied by a welding (gas) supplier, we have tanks of liquid nitrogen here at work and we are a pickle factory.

16. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

He has zero feedback...suprise suprise... /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

17. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

i know what he was stating, that a machine shop was probably feeding him a line, but I was just stating that it isn't impossible to get some liquid nitrogen to freeze something. we use it to displace oxygen in plastic containers of pickles, just like a lot of your juice and soda manufac. do, it also helps keep the bottle from collapsing when pressure is applied. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

18. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Cryo treating steel is new to the offroad world but has done well so far. It is a waste of money without quality steel base though. High dollar chromo's and custom cold forged are the most common ones. A gut on pirate does the new spicer life series. The cryo pocess lines up the molecules better therefore reducing the number and exageration of stress risers. This alone is not much stronger but heat treating (locking the molecules in place) a molecularly smooth piece of steel is a great way to gain a huge amount of strength. Cryo treat is a careful process that needs constan temp monitoring the idea is not really cold it is proper chilling.

Enough science crap $1000 for a stock D44 that probably sat in some shops freezer for a day is outrageous. Doesn't even say what bolt pattern, pumpkin side, or flat tops. Any body that is in tune with cryo should at leasy know what a flat top is. That guy is "crazy go nuts"

19. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

not trying to high jack, but liquid nitrogen can be supplied by a welding (gas) supplier, we have tanks of liquid nitrogen here at work and we are a pickle factory.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

20. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Is it the same guy selling the D44 and the "D66" ? They both spelled traction wrong and only had a few words about the axles /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif