Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yukon Chromoly Stubs, what joints and inners to go with?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Mar 28, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well I was an idiot and impulse bought a pair of 35 Spline Yukon Chromoly Stub Shafts for my 60. Now I guess I need to think about what Inners and UJoints to run with them. I had the factory 79 Neckdown inners at the moment and don't think thats a good idea to match with these stubs. Should I just spend the money for the Chromo inners too? I definetally don't want to spend the $$$ for a set of CTMs. I have a set of Spicers on the shelf, would getting these cryoed be a bad alternative?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Get yourself a set of non-neck down stock Spicer axleshaft and run the Spicers. This will be a good combo. It is strong enough for most jobs. If you are really planning on beating the hell out of it then spend the money on Chromo inners and CTM's.

You could buy chromo inners and run Spicers but the Spicer will be the weak link and if it fails it will ruin your chromo axleshafts in all likelyhood. If you run a stock inner you have the change of having the inner fail and or the inner shafts ears fail and not ruin your chromo outer.

Harley

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

sorry to hijack but where can i get the stock non neck down spicers at? i tried a search but no luck thanks :D

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

5. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

http://www.rubicon4x4.com sells stockers and chromo's too.

I ran Yukon stubs and stock non-neckdown inners with 806x joints and at the hammers I broke the u-joints which ripped the ears off the stock inners. The yukon stubs were fine though.

I've since gone to yukon inners and outers and ordering some stock spicer inners to run with my old yukon stubs to run for spares.

I'm planning on going with CTM shafts and joints soon as I can afford it though. Then keep my yukon stuff for spares.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Maybe I'll spring for some Chromo inners and just be nice till I can get CTMs.

7. white-rhyno

white-rhyno 1/2 ton status

Im running neck down inners spicers joints and the yukon outters, no probs so far. Actually i had a little "incident" so to speak. Apparently, when your running drive flanges in your d60 and the pinion bearing decides in dosnt want to spin, it WILL lock up 42's at 50mph. Not fun. But hey, my inner axles held up to that.