Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yukon lift/tires/wheels

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by harv72, Oct 19, 2002.

1. harv72

harv72 Registered Member

I have a 97 Yukon 4 door that needs new tires. It currently has 245-75R16's on stock rims and 3.73 gears. I would like to go up to 265-75's or 33-12.50R15's, but I have a few questions:

1. How much can I lift the truck by cranking the torsion bars and still be able to get it aligned? I've heard up to 1.5" over stock.
    2. Can I use 15" rims on this? I would go with 15x8's with 33x12.50 BFG KO's and 2-3" of lift. 16" tires seem overpriced.
    3. Has anybody used a Rough Country 2-3" lift for these vehicles? If so, would you recommend it?
    4. If I'm stuck using 16" tires, any recommendations for stock to 2" lift? I'm considering 265's or 285's.
    5. Would my mileage take a dive with 33's? My 88 Suburban already hovers around 10, but it seems pretty gutless when compared to the 97's Vortec.

This is my first fullsize IFS chevy, so I'm lost when it comes to tire/wheel/lift combos that look good. I can find pictures of 4-6" of lift, but I don't want to go that high, plus I can't afford $1500 in lift.

Thanks.

2. hirider34

hirider34 Registered Member

Hey, I tried out the cranking torsion bars method with the Rough Country kit on my '88 1500. DO NOT buy that kit. Your suspension will bottom out, Front axles/Cv's will rub on the lower control arms, and your tires will hit. There is no easy way to fit 33's on your tahoe. You could use a body lift, if you really wanted, but I'm not a fan of them. If you really want bigger tires done right, save some cash and swallow the price of a 4-6" kit. I think National Tire and Wheel still has the Superlift 4-6 for around $999.Or as you stated, you'd like 265's. I'm almost positive these will fit stock. You could probably get away with 31's on 15x8's too. Give it a shot and see what works for you. Good luck. :thumb:

3. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    1. How much can I lift the truck by cranking the torsion bars and still be able to get it aligned? I've heard up to 1.5" over stock.

[/ QUOTE ]

you can go about an inch and be fine.

2. Can I use 15" rims on this? I would go with 15x8's with 33x12.50 BFG KO's and 2-3" of lift. 16" tires seem overpriced.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, 15x8s would be your best bet to reduce the potential for rubbing if you went with 33x12.5s. You would need at least a 3" lift, whether BL or SL. SLs aren't good for your steering, and BL, aren't always pretty, but they're cheap and will do the job. if you do them right, you can hardly tell that a BL is installed.

3. Has anybody used a Rough Country 2-3" lift for these vehicles? If so, would you recommend it?

[/ QUOTE ]

i've heard of them installed, but i never heard a follow up report on their performance. i think itd be better in the long run if you stay away from 2-3" SLs.

4. If I'm stuck using 16" tires, any recommendations for stock to 2" lift? I'm considering 265's or 285's.

[/ QUOTE ]

265s are stock size, so, you don't need anything in regards to lift. *285s on stock wheels will fit w/o rubbing on no lift. *305s also fit on stock wheels w/o rubbing and no lift. * means that, at most, you'd have to trim the corner or the plastic air dam under the front bumper.

5. Would my mileage take a dive with 33's? My 88 Suburban already hovers around 10, but it seems pretty gutless when compared to the 97's Vortec

[/ QUOTE ]

well if you have 245s and 373s, then your truck probably feels like a sports car /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you will notice a hit on mpg and maybe power, but it won't be much at all. what are you getting now?

4. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I have a 96 Yukon. When I bought it last week, it had 285/75/R16 tires on it with custom rims. I''m not sure of the rim offset but the tires rubbed the first time I went off road (the first day I had it). Took a chunk out of one of the tires.

I decided to put on a 2" body lift since I didn't want to do the suspension lift and the blocks were cheaper than tires. Cost just under $150 here. It took about 6 hours to put in the lift but that was because I kept daydreaming. Probabably only takes about 3 -4 hours.

I'm happy with my lift since I didn't want a supper high rig. These things are top heavy enough. I still have kids that need to get in it too. It would probably look better with a 3" lift if you like more wheel wells showing but then you would have to buy lip guards to cover the body to frame gap.

You can definately see the frame more but I don't have the steps/runners on my rig. The 285 tires are bigger than the 33's I have on my 76 truck. The truck definately sits higher but it has a 4 inch lift.

Power-wise, there is still plenty of power with the 285's but you will have more with the 265 tires. I have the same gears as you.

Bottom line is that these aren't made for serious off road but if you need higher ground clearance go with the suspension lift. If you are just after a little more height and bigger tires and go down country roads and moderate stuff, go with the body lift. Otherwise you can run 265's with out rubbing and they are a cheaper tire. Remember to shop around. I"ve seen 285's AT for as low as $116 per tire.

5. harv72

harv72 Registered Member

Thanks for all of the information. I've decided to stick with 265's for now. I've been driving through all of the car lots in town and I think I know every location of an 88 and up Chevy with bigger tires/wheels/lift in town. My wife is less than impressed with my newly found knowledge. The best look that I've seen is 265's on 16x8 wheels with just a slight lift (1-1.5" TBs).

76Chevy - do you have any pictures of your Yukon with the body lift? Have you noticed a drop in mileage? I've been getting around 16 on the highway. I put a 2" body lift on my 96 S-10 to fit 31's and it turned out better than I thought it would, especially with nerf bars mounted higher on the frame. If fact, it made the Yukon look pretty pathetic when parked by it at the dealership.

Again, thanks for the information. I guess I'll leave it nearly stock.......for now.

6. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

Unfortunately I don't have a picture of mine yet. If you go with a body lift and stay mostly on road I would get the factory nerf bars if you don't have them already. They will cover up the frame that shows.

I have no idea what gas milage I get. I haven't ever fill the tank up all the way. I usally put in $20 when it is close to empty. Some day I will figure it out.

I would search autotrader or fullsizechevy.com or something like it to look for pictures of lifted rigs with the combo you are lookinf for.

The 265 tires will work well for now and you could probably even put a 2" body lift on later if you wanted.

7. chevelless502

chevelless502 Registered Member

I have a 1999 Tahoe with 285/75R16 Wrangler AT/S tires mounted on Cadillac Escalade wheels. I dont have one once of rubbing problem with it and I have gotten a ton of compliments on how it looks. I was gonna go with a 305 instead but was affraid of them hitting, but sonce I have stock wheel offset I think I could make them work as well. It really didnt hurt my mileage alot with ti either which was an added bonus.
    Andy