Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Yukon or something 30 spline?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by XtrmChevy, Dec 18, 2003.

1. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a Dana 60 front out of a 86 K30 in his formula offroad racer. He is a little concerned about the outers because they are 30 spline. The problem is the Dana 44 spindles there are on the axle, so there is not room for 35 spline outers... The previous owner competed for 5 seasons with it without any problems so it may not need anything better but what are the options?

2. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Not sure you are correct on it having Dana 44 spindles. Could you elaborate?

3. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

Yes I meant what I said. This is a copy from Billavistas Dana 60 Bible:

Another method is a Chevy 60 knuckle, a 60 outer shaft, a Chevy 44 spindle, a 1/2" thick spacer/adaptor to bolt to the 60 knuckle and bolt the spindle to, then you use a 44 hub, rotor, backing plate, and caliper, and a lockout can be bought from Warn, its the one they are using in their rear full float conversions, same 30 spline as the 60 shaft, and fits in the 44 hub. They are running no spindle bearings, you do end up trimming a little off the spline end of the outer shaft, cause its to long, but it all goes together, and the only thing the people running it have broken is a hub.

This is done by the previous owner.

4. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    Hum, very interesting combo, anyone know if this
    was done Dana(Spicer), the makers of the 10 bolt GM front axle ?