Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Z bar bracket

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Nov 10, 2003.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Can anyone send me pics of a Z bar bracket that is riveted on, like the factory setup? Tyler (Blueblazer62) claims that my bracket is potentially mounted incorrectly and that's why I was having so many clutch problems this weekend. I would tend to agree with him, as my Z bar doesn't hardly sit on the pivot ball at all. Maybe 1/4" at the most.

Any help would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif I thought I had all my clutch problems fixed until I took my swaybar off and got my truck nice and bound up on some rocks. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. chebywanna

chebywanna 1/2 ton status

when i took my trans out all i had to do to get the z bar out was move the trans to the side, and it just fell down (after disconnecting the lincage) the only rivited piece i can think of is the one thats mounted to the frame.

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

It's not that. I just think my bracket is on upside down or something because it just doesn't fit right.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah only riveted piece I can think of is the mount to the frame. Mine is all stock but I must say it doesn't look or seem it. I think mine is worn out, you presss the clutch and the zbar slides sideways and moves a bit.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know mine isn't going to be riveted. It's bolted because my truck used to be an automatic. I just want a pic cause I think I bolted it on upside down or something. I don't really understand how that could be possible, but Tyler pointed out that mine just doesn't look right, and I agree, but it was bolted in stock holes (I didn't drill them)

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'll try and get a picture of my setup tomorrow, take a few cause I don't know what you want to see.

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Ok sweet. It's going to be a bitc* to photograph. Basically I want to see what it's supposed to look like if you look straight down below the master cylinder.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

thats what I thought you want, yeah its nice and dark in that spot my buddy was over last night looking at it cause he is installing an SM465 in his K5 and I have the only factory mechanical clutch one that I know of around here.

9. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

My '81 Suburban used to be an automatic, and I converted it to a 4spd. I took a used bracket off another frame, and bolted it to the existing holes that were in my frame, and it's never given me any problems.

I have picture of it here: http://community.webshots.com/photo/28203132/28203566LhSMxzUKRA

If you look real close you can barely see it. It's not too clear or close up... but it was taken not long after I put the bracket on. Sorry I dont have a better pic.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: Z bar bracket Pics

here tim

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hope they help, second one is pointing at the samething just a different angle from the inner fenderwell.

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

If you see that clean spot on mine, thats where when I press the clutch pedal down the whole z bar bracket slides out towards the frame then actually pushes the frame outward and causes it to twist.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Well that issue is solved. My Z bar is indeed on the correct way. Maybe it's too short or my frame is tweaked, but either way my pivot ball sure doesn't sit into the Z bar sufficiently.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not 100% on what your problem is but I think its like mine, mine is worn out and moves around. If I watch the bellhousing I can see the ZBar pivout point moving around in the bellhousing hole when I press the clutch pedal.

14. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

My problem is that the Z bar doesn't fit into the pivot ball on the transmission far enough to keep it from coming apart. When Fatboyblazer gets the videos ready you can see me swearing at my truck for about 10 minutes trying to get it out of gear when it was all bound up on a rock and I couldn't get the clutch to release, get it out of 4wd, or get it into neutral. It was bound up pretty hard. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Yeah I'm worried about the samething happening when I go wheeling the first time. Got to try to locate a hydro setup.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

If your setup is straight I wouldn't worry. I am going to try to replace my Z bar and see what happens.

17. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Is your tranny sitting on the crossmember in the wrong place? If you loosened up the two bolts that go into the adapter from the bottom and moved the tranny over an inch or two, it would seat together more? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

That's an idea! I'll have to check it out. I think my tranny mount fits in it in such a way that would not be possible, but I could check it out.