Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Z71?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by American84K5, Aug 18, 2005.

1. American84K5

American84K5 1/2 ton status

what is included in a z71 package?
    i have a 2dr yukon and i was looking at them on ebay there was a SLT Z71 without the z71 sticker so i was wondering if the one i have is a Z

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i can pull the build sheet from gm if you like.

z71 is usually just shocks, skid plates and supposedly stiffer springs.

ryan

3. American84K5

American84K5 1/2 ton status

i kno for sure that i have skid plates

4. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Skid Plates and Bilstein shocks is what i was told at one point I remember. I wouldnt waste my money on the sticker, chances are the skid plates are real beefy, and the shocks will be replaced if any suspension lift is done. Then your just left with the Sticker.

5. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

I thought z71 was only on 4x4 trucks.

6. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

thats what i understood

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Skid Plate Package, Bilsteins, and Rear Locker (Gov-Lock)

8. GRAYTEXK5

GRAYTEXK5 1/2 ton status

I think they may come with lower gears too, but I'm not sure, that's just what I've heard. I know mine came with 3.73's...but I don't know the basic 4x4 ones come with either.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and a Tahoe is a 4x4 truck. :rolleyes:

ZQ8 is the option for the S10 Extreme. my cousin has a Sonoma ZQ8, it doesnt have an Extreme sticker on it anywhere, but it is still a ZQ8 truck regardless of sticker or no sticker.

10. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

I don't know if they were options but my 89 Z-71, I bought used, with all the bells and whistles of the time cept for leather. From what I understood at the time the Z-71 was supposed to be "tougher" in the off road environ.

Don't know if that's true, but we beat the snot outta that truck till the electronics started freakin out and I didn't want to go down that fix it run so I sold it off for the same money I bought the Blazer for. :D

11. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Nope my 98 Z71 has 3.42s...

12. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Gov loc, skid plates, shocks, slightly taller stance and a sticker. It is a decent package if you are going to leave it stock, but if you lift it you replace pretty much everything that makes it a Z-71

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

The older Z71's came with nothing more than:

Skid plates, bilstien shocks, a sticker, (and I have heard that the torsion bars are different). Nothing more.... nothing less.

Newer Z71's are a little different. When my wife bought her 01 Tahoe (not a Z, but 4wd) I noticed that they came with the same, except a "badge" instead of a sticker. It also had different wheels, a different luggage rack, and I think the body color carries through to the bumpers & fender flares etc. All those extras denote the Z71 package.

Now, to make things more interesting.. my buddies wife drives an 06 Tahoe, that is a 2wd z71. Yep, GM wanted to make as much money off the Z71 "fame" as they could .. they went an started making a 2wd Z71. This way you can have the "badge" without the extra expense of 4wd.

Whatever.. :rolleyes:

14. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

For some reason gm likes to put Z on anything that has to do with performance.

zz4, zz383, z28, ZO6, z71, the list goes on...

15. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

the Z in a rpo code is for suspention, J is for brakes, G is for drivetrain, i forget the rest, but it is wierd that they like the letter Z.

also every z71 i have seen has a gov loc, even the early 88 and 89s. my buddy blew one up in his 93 z71 (10 bolt :rolleyes: ) backing out of a parking space.

16. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

My buddy has a '96 Z71 with 3.42 gears and an open differential. I don't know for sure it is open, but there is no indication of a locker when wheelin'. Maybe it's broke? I'll check his glove box sticker this weekend for the G80 and Z71 option.

17. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Kind of off topic, but is anyone able to grease the idler arm and steering arm on a Z71 with the plastic skid plate still on? I couldn't get to them with it on, so I took it off and left it off. I hear many people complain that the Z71 will wear out idler arms real quick.... I guess so when the quicky lube doesn't grease the parts.

18. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

I may be wrong but I believe that a vehicle equipped with a z71 package will have it listed on the option codes in the glove box regardless of the vehicle having the badges for it

19. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Wow, haven't heard this discussion for awhile..........

The original Z-71 package (started sometime after the introduciton of the new style in '88):
    - Bilstein shocks
    - skidplates, but these could be ordered seperately on any truck
    - they may have had heavier torsion bars, but again nothing you couldn't order seperately on any other non-Z71 truck
    - sticker
    - did NOT include the Gov-lock, had to be ordered seperately but a majority of them had it
    - did NOT include lower gears, 3.42 were standard, 3.73 were optional just like any other truck
    - did NOT sit higher
    - did NOT have special tires.....I've seen Z-71's with steel wheels and the standard 245/75 tires
    - did NOT have more horsepower
    - did NOT hold up better off-road

The shocks were really the only unique improvement over any other truck. Just look at the original Z-71 option cost and it was probably less than what a CD changer option cost.........

The Z-71 package slightly changed with the '99 revised trucks:
    - Bilstein shocks were no longer included
    - added a "high capacity air cleaner".......woohoo....but I think it was available seperately also as part of another package (snowplow maybe?)
    - the Z-71 option cost decreased even more
    Again, the locking diff and gears were completely seperate options. My dad had two post-'99 Z-71 trucks and I couldn't find anything about them, besides for the sticker, that you couldn't get on any other truck.

The biggest change I believe started with either the '05 or '06 model year trucks as "Z-71" moved from an option to an actual model of truck (like "LS" or "LT"). I believe it now comes standard with more options like the locking diff and some other stuff.......and cost increased proportionally.

In any case, if you really want a Z-71 truck.........save your money and buy a regular truck and then simply buy the stickers from the dealer...........

20. BigBen

BigBen 1/2 ton status Premium Member

To your original question I'll throw this in:

My '95 2 door Yukon is a Yukon GT. It has Gov-Lock, Skidplates, and Bilstein shocks.... and Z71 is on the options sticker. But NO Z71 sticker on the truck.

To my understanding, in those mid-90s years the Z71 sticker was a pickup thing and the SUVs didn't get stickers until the very late 90s. (GM cashing in on the image)

Yukon GTs and Tahoe "Sport" packages had the Z71 option group but no sticker. There are probably regular Yukons/Tahoes out there with Z71 parts but no sticker either.

Don't know if this helps you or not...... :dunno:

I would think that most guys would assume that if you referred to your vehicle as a Z71 that it was a pickup. The name became synonymous with those trucks instead of the option package in the eyes of the general public.