Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Z82 H.D. Trailering special equipment - which goodies?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1985_K5_Silverado, Dec 23, 2005.

1. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

I recently bought a 1985 K5 Blazer Silverado, and I'm trying to get a better grip on a few facts. The Glove Box label lists, among many other codes, RPO Z82 "H.D. Trailering special equipment".

I was wondering what that "Trailering special equipment" consisted of in 1985. Would that include a bigger radiator and a transmission cooler? It's an RPO MX0 700R4 truck. Are there any other goodies in the Z82 bundle?

It does have UA1 HD Battery and GT4 3.73 axle ratio listed on the sticker.

My appreciation for any info on this package. I have ordered a large 1985 Blazer dealer brochure that might tell me something when it gets here.

2. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Unfortunately the sales brochures don't generally go into that level of detail. FWIW, I have scanned copies of them on http://brochures.slosh.com

You can determine if you have a tranny cooler by inspection of the radiator; if it has two goofy little brakeline-looking things (solid, bent steel tubes) going in on the passenger side, trace those back to the tranny.

You might google for RPO lists, but they're year specific, so your 1985 Z82 could just as easily have been a muffler bearing in 1974 :haha:

-- A

3. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i believe they quit using muffler bearings in 1980. damn things always needed replacing. :wink1:

4. dremu

Ohhh, right, they're now unitized brass muffler BUSHINGS :haha:

Buddy of mine gave me SOO much crap when I bought my CUCV, as it is NEWFANGLED when compared to my other (three) 70's full-sizes. I still get confused trying to find the high beam switch in that truck ... I keep kicking and kicking and I can't find it!

-- A

5. 1985_K5_Silverado

The sticker has short descriptions by the RPO codes. It has a OEM-style Trans Cooler in the lower radiator, but I was wondering if it rolled off the line that way. It has OEM quad shocks, but that Z75 RPO code isn't on the sticker, so I was wondering if gear like that was part of the Z82 trailering equiipment package (which is on the sticker), in the same way that its AU3 locks and A31 windows aren't on the sticker, because they are part of the ZQ2 convenience package (which is on the sticker).

6. dremu

More usefully, I'm digging through my parts book for other reasons (I have no life!) and the only thing it says is

Z82 First year 1982, last year 1984. Trailering Pkg, Spl. W/ Trailer Pkg (Z82).

Wow, you mean the Z82 package comes with the Z82 package? :doah:Thanks, GM!:rolleyes:

Sorry I don't have more info. Unfortunately my ancillary paperwork is largely 70's-centric ... if you could find dealer training materials for 82-84, like I have for '77ish, you might get more detail.

-- A

7. 1985_K5_Silverado

Now that's a great idea! I think I saw something like that on a car book site, now I just have to find which one (I love manuals of just about any sort).

8. 1985_K5_Silverado

Long shot

It's a long shot, but I sent a note to Chevrolet, asking them exactly what was bundled with Z82 that year. I also asked them where I could get a duplicate window sticker. :D

9. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I can't find it online just quickly searching, but it was similiar to this..they had one for the US somewhere. You could send them a vin, copy of proof of ownership, and a nominal fee and they would send you this huge package, duplicate sticker, all the rpo codes and what they meant. My uncle did this about 6 years ago for his original '64 chevy.

10. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Couldn't find any radiators in my parts books specifically for Z82. But if your rig is orig, you might be able to find a part number and match it up.
    I left it big so you can read it. Click on the pic, and it should go big.
    My book stops at '84. Don't have anything past that. Sorry. Radiators.jpg

Radiators.jpg

11. 1985_K5_Silverado

Cheap at twice the price! I'm all over that paperwork deal - if I can get a similar service for South of the border built truck, that is. I'll do some digging, and probably give GM a ring on Tuesday.

12. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

if it has an auto trans, it has a radiator cooler, no exceptions. you might have an auxilary cooler in addition to the radiator cooler though.

13. dremu

FWIW, here's what Z82 included in 1991, as I happened to be digging for something else. May or may not apply to your truck, but gives you an idea.

"...weight-distributing platform hitch receiver bolted to the Blazer's undercarriage, an engine oil cooler, a transmission oil cooler, and a heavy-duty 7-wire wiring harness. The wiring harness comes coiled and taped and will be located above the heavy-duty hitch."

Note they specify tranny cooler, but don't say whether it's in the radiator.

-- A

14. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

not sure of the code, but my 84 had a "trailer package" on the sticker... my truck had 3.73's, gov-lock, rear sway bar, receiver, and oil cooler. sorry if that doesn't help ;)

15. 1985_K5_Silverado

Those two descriptions sound a lot like the equipment that I see on the truck. I'll still try and track down the dealer information manual for that year (you can never have too many manuals), and I did e-mail Chevy and hope to hear some info back from them this week. My sticker also had V76 "Towing device", which is just a pair of frame-mounted front tow hooks that look like they'd be great recovery points.

16. 1985_K5_Silverado

Now that's service!

This popped up in my inbox at 10:28 this morning:
    =============================
    Thank you for contacting the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. We appreciate you taking the time to write us in regards to your 1985 Chevrolet Blazer.

The RPO Z82 option package consists of engine oil cooler code KC4, generator K81, transmission oil cooler, and hitch wiring harness.

A Restoration Package has been forwarded to your mailing address. Please use the Regular Production Options (RPO) Code Book in conjunction with your vehicle's Service Parts Identification (SPID) Label to determine your vehicle's factory options.

Also, the Restoration Package may provide you with further information regarding vehicle history and option availability. This information should reach you in 6-8 weeks. If this information has not reached you in that time, please contact us again.

We researched the information that you requested and unfortunately a duplicate window sticker is not available for your vehicle.

We sincerely apologize, as we know this information is important to you.
    ==========================
    :eek1: More than I expected, and faster than I expected. For a 20 year old truck. And not bad for a holiday!

17. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

whats that addy??!! I want to try that!

18. 1985_K5_Silverado

Just go to:

http://www.chevrolet.com/contactus/

Select the "I am a current owner, and have a question, comment, or concern" option, then fill out the resulting form and submit it. It wants your contact info and vehiicle info, including the relevant VIN.

The text box is quite small, and so you might want to type out your note in your e-mail program or word processor, then copy and paste it in. Be sure and mention that you are restoring or that you intend to restore your Chevy. The 800 numbers and mailing addresses are on that form page too.

Good luck! I think they are really working for good PR lately, and are more than willing to help current (i.e. potential future) customers.

19. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

thanks, I just sent it, I'll keep everyone updated on the reponse