Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zakk Vs. The ARB Rep

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by zakk, Mar 25, 2002.

1. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I wen to Good Guys yesterday and ARB had a display. I walked over to the board 4x4 Rep and asked when the 14B ARB air locker will be out.

JON at ARB assured me that an ARB AIr Locker for the Full Floating 14bolt will be out this year, and that the designers and engineers have promised his boss this and that he could spread the word. (I know we have heard this story before)

Then Jon and I began to discuss trucks and applications. Jon let me know that my truck couldn't be a "real" off raod rig cuz it rolls on 40's and it is a full-size, i then proceded to tell Jon exactly what the IFS of his truck REALLY mean & he countered with the insane notion that IFS was what REAL 'wheelers would be running in the future and should be running now...

Just an interesting tidbit of info for y'all on this monday morn...

2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I hope Jon's comments are not representative of ARB overall.....sounds like he needs to spend a little more time "on the trails" and a little less time working the booths & shows.

Maybe we should invite him and his "state of the art" IFS rig to BlazerFest so he can teach us all how to REALLY wheel!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. 86blazerk5

86blazerk5 1/2 ton status

Well, as much as i hope that manufactures will bring back solid axles as an option on new trucks again, the fact of the matter is that as current solid axle trucks get older and older and parts eventualy become hard to find ... The future of wheeling really is IFS, not that thats a good thing though, /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    ike

4. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

tell him to climb in his wife's ride and stick to what he knows
    being a salesman
    rember when a salesman knew about a product and it was more than just a job
    i don't mean all sales people are dumb as rocks but the trend
    is going in that direction.
    samples
    4wpw
    autozone
    checker
    pepboys
    i recently bought a new car and i think they should have known more about it then i did, when i asked if it had a 350 or 454 in it he said that was before his time

5. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

anyone who says a fullsize can;t be a `real offroad rig' obviously hasn't got a clue... my truck romps over crap that jeeps can't do, because they get too offkilter, and fall over from being too narrow in the track, and too short in the wheel base. having my wheels farther appart both width, and length wise, means I'm less likely to get more hten 1 wheel sucked into a hole, or teeter pecariously on the edge of an obstacle as a jeep... on the flip side, they don't ahve near as much middle to drag aorund. ( although I've yet to hit the middle of my truck on anything... prolly cause I know better then to wheel up certain obstacles) I'll stick to my giant suburban any day thankyou.

while IFS might be advantagous in allowing all the wheels to stick to the ground at once, its inherently more failure prone, due to the sheer number of parts they've got crammed into it. my soldi axle's got probably 20 parts tops, including all the differential guts, whereas an IFS would take more then the fingers, and toes of most of us to count the parts...

-Rich

-Rich

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like Jon's version of "REAL" wheeling is the type that is driven on the paved roads!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

7. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

well, zak, maybe your ride isin't 'hardcore'.... like say, a RAV4 or something with the awe-inspiring prowess of IFS....

my 2000 tacoma has some absolutley frightening action going on under the front end.... have you seen what's involved in lifting the new GM trucks? scandalous!

you obviously haven't seen the new commercial where the new 4WHEEL IFS explorer goes down to the fisin' hole, splashing through the water in the process... now that's hardcore...... poser!!

tee hee....

greg

8. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

damn, all that money spent on this solid axle, non-wheeling piece of junk. I've been going about it all wrong!!

Just kidding, what a jackass!!
    Does ARB even carry a locker for IFS??

9. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, I swear, I would laugh in that guys face. Gimme the Big Burb or SWs Jimmy from 2001 TTC... and he can have any IFS rig there is... and we'll see what is good offroad and what isn't!!! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif Solid axles own. They do now, and they prolly always will.

J

10. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

hold on greg, we have a RAV4, and rest assured, its a 4wheeling machine!! At least the salesman said so!!

anyways, we didnt get it for that, just room for the kids and so i feel a little better if she takes off to PA in the winter time. NO it doesnt have a t-case lever, but with 4 wheel IFS and all wheel drive, i think its ready for the RUBICON!!!/forums/images/icons/cool.gif it was funny listening to the salesman talk about it though,,,,i was thinking "man, i bet he tells people this stuff and they believe it!!" but, like i said before, we bought it for all the reasons EXCEPT the BS he was talking about!!

and you are right about all the stuff under the front end /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif, its a front wheel drive vehicle, with a super long drive shaft going to the rear-end!!

later rob

11. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

There are not only an astronomical amount of parts to an IFS suspension but have you seen the prices of lift kits for these things?!?!?!??! In some cases almost $2000. But if i did have to buy an IFS rig it would be a Tacoma because of the selectable rear locker and the better then most stock 31x10.5 tires. At least toyota has compensated for going to IFS with the locker.

Evan

12. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Are we all forgeting the one IFS rig that is almost unstopable? lol...The Hummer. I just got out the Army after 4 years...And I can atest to the abilities of those things. I drove the $hit of'em. Unbelieveable. The damn things are incredible. The one instance where IFS actually works. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

13. jekbrown

Hummers are ok, I drove them in GTMO for a while. Not exactly very agile or flexy. The IFS on them seemed pretty tough to me, I'll give them that. Still, with lifts for IFS rigs costing $2k... I'll stick with solid axles. Besdies, rarely does a IFS rig own at TTC... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

J

14. Zeus33rd

Definatley NOT agile or flexy. Thats for sure. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif The only thing I ever found that stopped them was deep mud. Even that was pretty impressive...Took some pretty deep mud to stop them.

15. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I HATE stupid sales people that have no idea what the heck they are talking about. There should be some sort of test. Most sales people would be better off shutting their mouth if they have no clue about the enginering aspect. OFF ROADERS run solid axles. If that doofus hasn't figured that out and is running his yap about somthing he obviously has no clue about he needs to be fired or his mouth taped shut. Somebody find a e-mail address to ARB and send them a link to this post.

16. aksidentproan

aksidentproan 1/2 ton status

As for the hummer. I would like to be able to go a little faster then 75-80mph top speed.

17. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

i think they RTI at 370 or so. not too good for a $70k vehicle that "can go anywhere" :rolleyes:

18. Zeus33rd

Who says a truck has to have an RTI of 98,798,743,057 to be exteremly capable? I spent the last 4 years trying to get Hummers stuck. Like I said, the only thing that stops them is deep mud.

19. jekbrown

a good ramp score doesnt guarentee great off-road capability. That said, peeps who do serious off road comps like TTC etc generally have a good amount of flex... I think it tells us that said flex is useful in some off-road situations. I mean look at SWs Jimmy... he could have any suspension he wanted... but he chose some long-travel stuff. I doubt he did it because the long springs / coil overs "looked cool"... he did it because its what worked.

As far as stopping a hummer, its np, put 2 trees six feet apart and the hummer is done. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif In all seriousness, the hummer is pretty capable and most everyone I know digs 'em. I know I had fun driving them in GTMO. That said, they arent the best rock buggies around and the lack of wheel travel is one reason for this. Additionally, they arent the greatest for trail driving either... lots of good trails have tight turns and narrow passages between trees and stuff... neither is the hummers best suit.

everyone is entitled to disagree with me, thats just my take on the whole thing.

J

20. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

I was saying it was a bang for the buck thing. If i have $75k would i build a SW Jimmy or a trophy wife 4x4?

others would take the hummer, but not me.

that's all.