Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zebra paint......

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by greg83k5, Mar 9, 2002.

1. greg83k5

greg83k5 1/2 ton status

anybody ever paint a vehicle with zebra stripes?

how would it go on with basecoat/clearcoat?

lemme know!

greg ( i was just gonna go back with the two-tone, but then my wife said, 'paint it zebra or cheetah or some crap like that!'

2. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

my wife said, 'paint it zebra or cheetah or some crap like that!'

<hr></blockquote>

LMAO....now she has you asking the best way to approach it.... thats got me bent over in my chair laugh'n trying to not slobber on my shoes....

3. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

one of my friends in high school learned how to zebra stripe with spray paint cans... with that bit of knowledge under his belt, he zebra striped EVERYTHING that he owned using black and grey primer. his station wagon was a mess of zeebra stripes, with about 3000 auxilary lights, 20 air horns, and last time I saw it, a tank turet sticking out of the hood. I dunno if he still has/drives that thing or not, but it was deffinately the coolest rig I'd ever seen.

I was going to try and Tiger stripe my suburban with black and orange.... I think the key would be to pick a base coat, paint it with that, and then depending on wether you wanted a harsh edge or not, determine how to mask it up. spray it with the other color, remove masking, let dry/cure, then clearcoat or whatever.

I think I might have to try this on my C20 suburban now, and see what It looks like... it certainly can't look any worse then it already does, with its faded `buckskin' tan paint, with red primer showing from beneath the surface....

-Rich

4. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

I've wondered how to mask this myself and some things I've thought/heard about:
    damp newspaper, I read about this on some model car paint, just rip to approx. size/shape
    Another would possibly use the application tape that sign shops use. It comes up to 48" wide, is low tack and is made to rip well. linkAmeriban.com I use to work here and they are very good people to deal with. The only thing you need to make sure of is that the solvents would not attack the adhesive.

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

There was a suburban on ebay a couple weeks ago that had zebra stripes everywhere seatcovers paint and the decals on the windows.

6. ChadH82

ChadH82 1/2 ton status