Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zeibart underCoat?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Jan 19, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Anyone have this? Does it work good with protection and sound deadening? Is it worth it? What all do they coat? Frame, floor, fender wells, axles, springs?
    Thanks!

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I had it on a '70 Nova that I bought around 1976. The car didn't have a speck of rust anywhere on it. The coating is a waxy substance that stays somewhat sticky feeling forever. They had sprayed it on the inside of every body panel, including inside the doors and rockers. They drill small holes in them so that they can spray inside them, then use plastic plugs to cover the holes afterwards. The bottom of the car was also coated. The only thing I didn't like about it was when I would get it on my skin while working on the car.

I don't know how well it would work on an older vehicle that may already have some rust though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Perhaps a pre-treatment with rust converter would be needed.

3. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

My buddy works at Zeibart and I had him undercoat my k5 as well as do inside the doors, rockers, and tailgate. I got the work done for free, but I think it runs around $150, but not positive. The undercoating is black and dries to a fairly hard feeling, but you could still probably scratch the stuff off. I dont have problems getting it rubbing off on my while working on the truck. My floor boards had surface rust and some worse areas as well so before hand I wire brushed every thing I could reach and then put some rust converter on the rusty areas. I also had the inside of the frame rails coated, but painted the outside of them. I think their policy is also that after you have it done you can go in once a year to have areas toutched up to make sure it is still all covered. So, I would say its a good idea to do it on yours. good luck

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Hmmm, that's interesting. The stuff on my Nova was almost clear, not black. And it never did get a hard surface. It always felt kinda sticky. But it sure did a great job of keeping the body from rusting. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif