Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rate/ overloads

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Anyone every try or see a problem with countersinking and drilling new center pin hole sin some overload leaves to mimic the idea of the ORD zero rate for axle relocation? If a overload is roughly 3/4" thick and the head of a bolt roughly 1/4" then there would still be 1/2" of meterial between the bolt head and bottom. Criticism?

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You would be removing material from the center of a spring. There is not enough material left to handle the flexing. Get a spring perch with some offset holes. Or just redrill yours.

3. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Unless you cut the overload down to the length of a zero rate, it would be pointless because the short side would touch the springs and the long side wouldnt... Cut down i see no problem.

And overloads are REALLY FUN to cut down, takes awhile. They are very tough to drill.

4. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Try finding a counter bore tool that would work in spring steel.

Cheap is one thing, but I can get 1 x 2.5 x 6 in cold roll for about 10-12 bucks a pop from my steel supplier, cut to length. That's no company discount, just me calling on the phone and ordering.

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have some 3" wide 1" thick strap on hand but don't think it will fit in band saw to trim down. Just had that concept pop into my head about overloads.