Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero rate owners, how did you drill your spring plates?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 84_Chevy_K10, Feb 27, 2004.

1. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Granted my electric drill is at my mom's house and all my dad gave me was a cordless....this damn spring plate is a PITA to drill. Am I crazy to think I should just pull out the grinder and end this mess? Would it seriously reduce the strength of the spring plate?

5 solid minutes of nice slow drilling netted hardly a dent in the spring plate. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

2. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

If you have Zero rates... don't they have an offset? Why would you be drilling in the spring plates? I must be missing something.

-Dan

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have to drill the spring plates because I'm offsetting my axle forward. If I don't drill them, the nut on the top of the spring centering pin will not be able to recess into the spring plate and it won't sit flat on top of the spring.

I'm moving my front axle forward 1.5" when I finish buttoning up the install tomorrow.

4. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

i used my 4 1/2 grinder, i only moved mine an inch.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Thanks. Screw this drilling crap, I'm going to just grind it.

Zero rate install on the springs and new bushings was a snap right here on my dad's basement floor. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I used a drill and an 11/16 bit took about 1 min per side. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I used a drill. And a drill bit. Crazy, but true. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

8. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Grinder here too, just set it on the ground, put a foot on top and went to town. Took about 10 minutes, and most of that was just fine tuning them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Now I gotcha... I've got one word for you. TORCH! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Dan

10. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Granted my electric drill is at my mom's house and all my dad gave me was a cordless....this damn spring plate is a PITA to drill. Am I crazy to think I should just pull out the grinder and end this mess? Would it seriously reduce the strength of the spring plate?

5 solid minutes of nice slow drilling netted hardly a dent in the spring plate. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

$5 says your drill bit was dull. Learn to sharpen them or get a new one. If you were drilling for that long, you should have drilled through about 5 spring plates with a good sharp bit. Oh yeah, You did make sure the drill wasn't on reverse right? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i just bought plates with an offset. lol

j

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    $5 says your drill bit was dull. Learn to sharpen them or get a new one. If you were drilling for that long, you should have drilled through about 5 spring plates with a good sharp bit. Oh yeah, You did make sure the drill wasn't on reverse right? /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You're absolutely right. When I got to my mom's house, I pulled out MY drill bits instead of my dad's crappy cheap ones and it went right through them. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Dull drill bits suck.

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif Reverse.....I'd have to vote myself dumb ass of the year for that one. Nope sure wasn't in reverse. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif