Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rate question.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1976Blazer76, May 8, 2006.

1. 1976Blazer76

1976Blazer76 1/2 ton status

I'm sure this question has been beaten to death, but haven't quite found the answer I'm looking for in the searches I did. I have a 76 blazer with a Dana 60 front with high steer crossover. I am running 42" tsl's and an 8" lift. After doing some reading, sounds like I should put in the 1" zero rate to help keep my tires from rubbing when it flex's. My question is, will this 1" zero rate cause me clearence issues in my steering with the 8" lift?

2. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

how thick is your spring pack? and what cross over arms are you running? (i dont know if ORD came with arms or you had to get them seperate.)

3. 1976Blazer76

[​IMG][​IMG]My front springs have 5 leaves so its 2" thick. Here is a picture of my crossover arm. Then my high steer arm is 1 1/2" outside diameter. the 2nd picture is of how much clearence i have now between my high steer arm and springs.

4. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im pretty much running ur exact setup minus hi-steer (8" springs + 1" zero-rate, 42's) you should be alright in terms of clearance. i could take pics of mine, but i dont think it would really help that much since i dont have hi-steer.

5. 1976Blazer76

How are you on tire clearence. I'm guessing you cut out your fenders. Were you able to keep your inner fenders because I am really hoping i get to.

6. muddybuddy

well i havent driven the truck enough yet to see exactly how much im going to have to cut its still a work in progress, but im planning on keeping the inner fenders. my axle is moved 1.5" forward, ill post a pic of how it sits in the fender, i jus gatta find it, then ull have some idea bout how much trimming u need

7. muddybuddy

here it is, the wheel is slightly turned to the left

DSCN0477.JPG

8. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

as far as arms go, i was talking about the steering arm on your axle.

9. 1976Blazer76

I'm confused? Are you talking about my high steer arm?

10. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

yes, that makes a difference. my buddy has sky's arms (reverse high steer) with a zero rate. his 1.5" tierod just nicks his spring at full lock.

11. 1976Blazer76

Does he have the 1" or 1 1/2" zero rate? I'm looking at getting the 1". Thanks a lot for your help.

12. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

have you tried to flex it to see if the 8" leafs flex good? Everyone told me I should lop the front of the fender off right under the turn signal.. I said no way... well guess what I did.... also hacked the bushwacker to fit too....
    also the inner wheel well... there is a bolt that goes through it to the cab... I actually cut my inner well off right up to that bolt.. gave me ALOT more inner well clearance......

I dont have hi-steer only xover

I have 6" superlift softride leafs (sag to 5" with truck on them) and 1" zero rate... I dont hit the leaf packs just the fenders...... :doah:

Id say flex her up however you can.. get some bricks, use a floor jack, etc...
    that is what I did...... redneck driveway flexing is soooo cool..... :wink1:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

event tested 2" longer shackles..... but didnt like the way the truck handled.... caster, cabmer or whatever it was, was WAAY OFF!!!! my shock is holding the truck from flexing anymore.... plus look at my d-shaft.. she is gonna fall apart... :haha:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

my truck will flex more than that.. I can stuff the tire ALL THE WAY UP IN THE FENDERWELL.......

to me the amount of flex I have is good for the Mud/Trails I do.... Rocks are something of another nature that I have yet to understand (not bashing anyone that does like them....) as i will throw a rock but to drive my truck over them.... she just doesnt like it.....and will throw a fit if I try....

[​IMG]

13. 1976Blazer76

Thanks for the pics and info Rootbreaker. I understand what you're saying about test it out, just tough right now, look at my blazer.....not ready for that right now.
    [​IMG]

14. muddybuddy

that looks good man, what motor/tranny/t-case is that baby gona have? are those recentered H1's? looks sweet

15. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

pic blocked at work so gotta wait till I get home... :doah:

16. 1976Blazer76

I'm putting in a built 496 with a th400 transmission and a 205 transfer case. The h1's have the 7" backspacing. My dana 60 front is from a dually and i have 4" spacers in the rear. Also got my 35 spline outers with all chromoly axles and front and rear detroits. Can't wait to get it going.

17. Masiony

Masiony 1/2 ton status

just the standard 1". i didnt even know you can get 1.5" ones.