Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero Rate question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by beater_k20, Jul 26, 2006.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

since my SAS conversion is said to add 3" over the spring rating, and i'm using a 4" spring, i'm going to need to come up with 2-3' of extra lift over the 4" shackle flip i plan on running out back. since a shackle flip would move the axle forward slightly, i'd like to use a zero rate to move it back. coupled with an extended shackle, i may be able to get by with that. however, if i need the extra inch, can i run a block with a zero rate?

2. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

yes.. i have a 2" block and a zerorate, works fine

also the tappered block put in backwards got my pinion angle just right

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a zero rate and a block is one step away from stacking blocks. either get the right size block or take this oppurtunity to get new rear springs. springs will bring your diff back where it should be and cut down on axle wrap. blocks are just going to increase the trucks ability to twist your springs.

4. Cajun4x4

Cajun4x4 1/2 ton status

ehh i never realy considered it stacking blocks as the zero rate is basicly part of the spring pack itself... yes it adds one more inch of axle rap force and if possible should be avoided but i dont see how a 1-2" block in addition to a zerorate would be complete blasphamy

going to just a bigger block wouldnt work because he would then not be able to relocate the axle

5. gmc4cw

I have just seen blocks break and the results usually are not pretty. I'm just one of those "all spring" guys. I run a flip but the rest is all spring. Get a 8 inch spring and take out every other leaf, coat with silicone and you have a very flexy and nice riding setup.

6. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i'm not one of those "all spring guys" hence the shackle flip. i like my suspension to work as designed. why you ask? because i have fillings in my teeth that i'd like to keep there.

an 8" spring with a shackle flip? no thanks, that'd put my rear 5-6" over the front.

might be able to throw an AAL in there eventually, but just to get me by for a while. i'll agree, it will increase axle wrap. but i'm running a stock drivetrain (TBI 350/700R4/241) and 4.10 gears, turning 35s or 36s.

the "just to get me by for a while" is due to my deadline i have set for myself. i want to drive this thing to Indy for the jamboree the weekend of September 22, and all i have now is a frame sitting in my driveway, and a 2wd truck. gotta cut a few corners here and there to make that happen.

7. gmc4cw

when you take out every other leaf you end up with 3-4 inches of lift depending on the weight of your truck. the reason I go this route is the taller the lift the longer the main leaf. this is an advantage because it will give you tons of droop. you might need to swap your shackle flips to the opposite sides to make up for the extra length.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

jeremy, with 63's i wouldnt run a block and zero rate, axle wrap is bad enough. run a set of 3" 63's, (twos is you can find em) with proper angle a longer shackle wont increase ride heaight at all. with a lil more arch int he springs it should help tame at least some wrap (alot over stock 63's and blocks) and it will still ride very nice;)

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just looking for a temporary fix, to get me rollin, and sitting level. Zero Rates are $40.00, lift springs are $$$

10. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

11. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

do you have access to a milling machine??? Zero rates are fairly easy to make I actually made a set that were 2.5 thick and had the 1.5 offset built into them for a Blazer project I sold awhile back he's been abuising the hell out of it with no issues for 2 years now