Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rate question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bad_bo_ti, Feb 16, 2003.

1. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

if i were to make my own zero rate blocks, what is the biggest(thickest) i could go to put on the front and still be safe? thanks chris

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

You will be limited by the strenght of the bolt holding them to the spring the taller you go the more load the bolt takes, so the taller you go the bigger the bolt needs to be, meaning bigger hole in the block and bigger hole in the spring for the bolt. I personally wouldn't go more than 2"s. But that's my opinion.

3. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

i was thinking 2"s my self. i want to make em just to help me clear the 38's the just magicly showed up at my house all on wheels /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i figured no bigger than 2in, what size center pin should i use? could I weld on spacers to the actual mounts on the front axle? then i could have a 1in axle lift and dont have to worry to much about a 2in zero rate breakin the bolt. just an idea. want a little more lift but want to do it safely! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, you could prolly run 2"... Id get the biggest strongest center pin I could find tho...

j

6. backyardbuilt

Are you moving the axle forward while your at it if so, I would drill out the center pin hole in the spring and run a 7/16th grade 8 bolt since when you move the axle forward the center pin is recessed in the block. I made my own zero rates but I only needed 1" so I just used the 3/8ths center pin I would think 7/16ths would work for 2"s.

7. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

i dont know if i am moving it yet, i work for a company that has a bunch of different size center pins so i might try that route first. what does moving the axle foward do for the truck exactly?

8. backyardbuilt

it helps keep the tires from rubbing the fenders when the shackle moves back when you hit an obstacle and gives you a better approach angle. I moved my front forward an 1 1/2 and the rear back an 1 1/2.

9. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

hmm, sounds like an idea to me, think i am sold on it now, now all i have to do is find some 2in solid bar, do they make a 2x2.5 solid bar? or will just have to get a 2x2 or a 2.5x2.5. would there be a problem with using 2 1x2.5 and welding them together? thanks for all the help.

10. backyardbuilt

Not sure what the steel places carry but I would get one solid piece welding blocks together isn't a good Idea especially in the front, but if you drill another hole in the spring and use 2 bolts to hold it on it might work.

11. bad_bo_ti

bad_bo_ti 1/2 ton status

yea true, i want to safe not sorry, if nothing else i might see if can get a SOLID 2.5X2.5 and get it machined to 2in. thanks. chris