Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero-Rate Springs on 1st Gen Vehicles

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trukman1, May 4, 2002.

1. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Can anyone tell me the correct mounting locations (offsets) for front andd rear axles to achieve the most tire clearence using ORD's zero-rate springs? The truck is a ' 69. Thanks for the help, Gary

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The biggest thing is where do you want to trim. IMO the front is easier to trim and also looks better. Many people hack off the "fang" a few inghes below the body line and it looks good...just not w/ the factory bumper.

What size tires, rims, and lift are you running? How much do you want to trim?

3. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Triaged, The point is I really don't want to trim anything. I'm trying to figure out where to move the axles for the absolute most clearence. I really hate to trim good body panels. Gary

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I would then sugest moving only the back (which looks a bit too far forward to begin with) back 1" and leaving the front. Then just add enough lift so they don't rub. Your problem areas are going to be the front of both wheel wells esp. that fang in the front (I couldn't drive into my driveway with 4" lift, 36's, and no trimming).

5. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Triaged, Call me crazy but this is what I'm going to do...move the rear 1.5" to start, the front 1" to start. I'm installing a 4" BDS lift and, get this, 35x15.5x16.5 Swamper SX's. ORD zero-rates will give me an extra inch of lift while allowing me to move things around till I figure out I should have just gotten a 6" lift in the first place.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

It will rub /forums/images/icons/frown.gif
    Take a look at the spec's of some of the other guys trucks...alot of people run body lifts so they don't have to cut up their nice looking trucks. The tires you choose are W I D E and will just make matters worse. I hope you have some high backspacing wheels (4.25" min!). I still wouldn't move the front forward...You might even want to move it back! That "fang" is the part you have to wory about. Take a look at my pics...I have a 4" lift and had to do a bunch of trimming (more on the rear than the front) to keep it from rubbing. The front doesen't look like much but it is trimmed a good bit.

How much wheeling do you expect to do?
    Did you go all spring (front and rear)?

Too bad no one else has posted on this because I might not be the right person to ask because if it rubbed I just cut it off.

P.S.
    I have 4" rancho (stiff) front springs, 4" shackle flip in the rear with custom spring perches that gave me about 3/8" more lift and moved the axle back 1" and saggy stock springs.

P.P.S
    If you do a search on "lift measurement" you will find a post where myself and a few of the others measured how much lift we have to compair...it might be helpful info.