Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero Rates and Axle Location

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by noahrob, Sep 20, 2006.

1. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I have used the search feature, but have been unable to find the answer to my question so thought I would ask and take the flogging like a man...

How does using zero rates to relocate the front axle work? The spring pack bolt goes through the center hole of the zero rate and then through the spring pack which makes the zero rate a short thick leaf at the bottom of the pack, correct? If so, then to move the axle forward means that I would use the nipple at the rear of the zero rate to go into the hole in the axle perch, correct? If both of those are true, does that mean that the zero rate is not centered front to back on the axle perch anymore? Does that also mean that the weigh of the vehicle is no longer on the same place on the leaf springs?:confused:

Anybody have a close up of a zero rate installed and moving the axle?

Sorry for the stupid question...flame away...

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

the zero-rate has off-set holes. one bolts into the leaf pack, the other onto the leaf perch on the axle.

3. noahrob

Does that mean that the leaf pack is not centered front to back on the perch?

4. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yes. For 1 - 1.5" it isn't a big deal.

j

5. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

I've been wondering the same thing. I was looking at moving mine forward but when I went to put them in the spring looks way too off center of the spring pad. And it looks like the springs will flex in a weird spot and that doesn't seem like it's worth the benefit of moving it forward--too end up with a warped spring. Not only is it flexing in a weird spot on the spring but it seems as though, because of it flexing not on the center of the spring you'll loose flex.

6. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

rounded end twords the spring. It didnt look right to me at first till I fliped them right side up

7. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thats what I was told in the first place but they looked more right to me in the "upside" down postition. The only way I could see to make it look usable was to have the round side on the perch.

8. noahrob

First of all, I am glad tha tI am not the only knucklehead (no offense) who had this question. Does anybody have a picture of the zero rate on the truck?

9. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

This might help.

10. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

Here is mine moved an inch forward. These are the best pics I have.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. noahrob

cbbr, thanks for the link, that does help...it confirms what I thought. In the pirate thread it mentions that the ORD zero rates were warping the leaf pack so I will anxiously await any more input from any dudes here that run them...

neverendingproject...any issues from your experience with these things?

12. neverendingproject

I havent driven the truck too much since ive put em in, but Ive had no problems. The inly thing I notice is when I moved the axle forward, I gained plenty of clearance on the rear of the fender, but I might kiss the frotn when I step up to 35's soon.

As far as functioning, I havent seen nor forsee any problems.

13. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

It looks like I'm going to have to take some pics of my rig later.

The zero-rate MUST be centered on the spring perch. To accomplish this, you run the "nipple" through the center hole in the zero-rate and run the sping bolt through one of the offset holes in the zero-rate and the spring pack. You will need to drill a new hole through the spring plate to accomodate for the new offset of the spring. That is the only way they should be installed.

I am using 1" AAL's (zero-rates) in the front and rear of my rig. I offset the front 1" and the rear 1.5". I'll get pics of it. Someone send me a pm so I don't forget :P

14. noahrob

PM Sent...thank you for jumping...cuz I am confused!

15. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

Guy from pirate looks like his are upside down, maybe thats why he were bending his springs.

16. mtnman210

mtnman210 1/2 ton status

thanks shane for the description. It's getting a little clearer. but I still don't like the idea of where the flex point on the springs will be. that just seems wrong to me. I'd rather just cut the heck out of the rear of the fender than warp the spring. But if it really doesn't warp bad than thats another story. I'm just basing my thoughts on looks. since I can't drive the truck yet. I can only go off what it looks like siting there.

17. neverendingproject

The zerorate doesnt really affect the spring. It does move the flex point but its lust like moving the spring perch, because u-bolts hold it tight. You wont be warping the spring any more than you would be otherwise, well you will because its like a 1 inch block, but its not enough to really even measure.

18. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

What Shane74 said. I have my front moved forward 1.5" and have no problems.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

On my front springs, the perches are drilled 1" off center... so the spring isn't centered on the perch. Never been a problem. 1.5" with a zero rate is kinda scary to look at, but in my experience, 1" is all good. Truth be told, 1.5 prolly is also... it just doesn't look right... which isn't to say it won't work.

j

20. neverendingproject

By centered, I think he meant centered on the spring sideways. Why else would make one that could move the axle if it was supposes to be centered in the middle of the pack