Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rates and drag link is now hitting springs?????????

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by leadfoot067, Sep 27, 2002.

1. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

ok guys so whats the solution?????????i know ive been warned about it from ORD..and mine hits when i turn left...so now i cant turn left all the way /forums/images/icons/confused.gif .....is it considered safe to have a block machined to install under my steering arm with longer studs?????has anybody done it? thats the only way i see for this all to work together...any suggestions here????

2. coloradoblazers

coloradoblazers 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have the zero rates moved 1.5 " forward. On mine, nothing hits the springs, but it has a better turing radius to the right beacase it was moved forward, the arm is not in the same position as it used to be, instead it is riding in the position of having the wheels turned. I took some measurements, and as soon as I have the time I will shorten the link by an inch or more. Don't knwo if this helps you any, but thought I'd try.

3. leadfoot067

ok well i have crossover steering....sounds like you have the stock style steering??

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

You can buy spacers. I think Avalanche has them for $60. Mine only hits when I flex it but I only have 3/4" zero rates in the front that I made.

5. leadfoot067

well i was at a family b-day today..daydreaming blocking out all the noise and kids running around.........and it hit me...the only spacer ive been able to find was one from skyjacker and its like 3" costs 89.00...so i think im gonna just cut off a stock steering arm to use as my spacer and get longer studs..i believe its about an inch thick or so..will find out soon getting one from another ck5er tonight...probably gonna have to get it machined flat......but i only need an inch not 3...and thanks wayne ill check the avalanch part.........

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Going to less drop in the draglink may do it. We usually put about 2 1/2" of drop in the draglink and going to a bit less might help your clearance a little. Otherwise a bit of spacer might be what you need.

7. leadfoot067

i have a straight drag link now.so what i did was cut off a stock steering arm to use as a spacer it measures 1 1/8" so it should be just enough...thats something u might wanna consider making......a 1" steering arm block..or a steering arm with an extra inch on it already just for this.....thanks for the reply ...the zero rates are cool great product!!!

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, the "advertised" Dana 60 3" steering arm spacer blocks are only 2.5" when actually measured. On my 12" National springed Sub, I added crossover steering and spaced up the steering arm on the right knuckle with one of these 2.5" blocks. I turn 44" tires on 14" wide Weld Racing rims and have not had a problem with the steering arm block, so I would say you're good to go with the block. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. leadfoot067

thanks man....i just kinda needed to hear that to now i wont worry with 36s..