Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero rates and front ends.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Z3PR, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Who all is running zero rates up front ???? any problems ????

2. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

I am /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'll let you know the first time it leaves the garage /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

I am running them on my D60 using the 1.5 in offset without any problems. I have 6in TC Springs and ORD Crossover Steering and it all works together flawlessly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    Who all is running zero rates up front ???? any problems ????

[/ QUOTE ]

I put mine in after i got home so about 6 months now, pushed the axle foward 1.5"s and no problems, the only thing that was somewhat scary was redrilling the plates, i have a ten bolt and they are not flat on top so i had to make a quick jig to get that done

5. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I am running them up front, and have had no problems. I just used them for extra lift, not axle relocation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I'll let you know the first time it leaves the garage /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    ditto!

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yep I run them and so does my buddie on his blazer we have them for axle relocation no problems yet and we've jumped the blazer about 5 ft in the air /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Thanks for all the quick replys. I'm now positive I'll relocate my front axle 1.5" forward. I'm waiting too see if this 81 K30 deal is going to work out or not. Be really cool to go 1 ton. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    ditto!

[/ QUOTE ]

same here /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. 88jimmy4x4

88jimmy4x4 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

the only thing that was somewhat scary was redrilling the plates, i have a ten bolt and they are not flat on top so i had to make a quick jig to get that done

[/ QUOTE ]

Why did you have to re-drill the plates with the zero rate?
    I was under the impression that its a bolt on mod even when relocating.

11. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

To answer the first question, as soon as my rear zero-rates get here from ORD and I get my BDS springs installed I will let you know. I am moving mine 1.5" forward for better approach angle.

Question two:

You have to re-drill the plates if you move the axle forward because the spring plate moves forward with the axle, so the centerpin will not sit in its factory position. ORD zero-rates this talks about redrilling also /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I have the zero rates in the front and used the 1 inch forward position. I had to grind on my front plates to give the bolts that hold the zero rates enough clearance so the axle plates would bolt down flush.

BTW. I only moved the axle 1 inch forward and I barely had enough adjustment in the {hmmm,, I think it's the steering link, goes from the steering gear arm to the knuckle arm}. I would have to had taken the link apart and cut a bit off of each threaded side {maybe .25-.50 off each threaded end} in order to have equal steering both ways.

So far so good as far as Murphy's concerned! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    spring plate moves forward with the axle, so the centerpin will not sit in its factory position.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Good thread, usefull info. Thanks everyone. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Just thought I would share my experience with a block made similar to the Zero Rate - I have a friend who is a machinist so I had him make a pair of blocks like the Zero Rate but with some degree in them like a degree shim. I removed them recently when I went back to all spring and one of the center bolt was bent at the bolt head. Posted about this a while back and someone said bent center pin bolts aren't too uncommon but wanted to share my experience with a block used up front like the Zero Rate.

16. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sure the taper didn't contribute to the bent bolt?

17. Yukon Jack

Yukon Jack 1/2 ton status

Wouldn't surprise me if it didn't have an affect on why it bent.

18. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

If they didn't have a flat cut for the head of the bolt, it would bend the bolt.