Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero rates under the front suspension of a stock '86 K30?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 19, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

This may be a simple/stupid question but I've been out of the GM scene for a while. Please bear with me.

My '86 K30 M1008 CUCV has 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires on it to overcome the 4.56 gears and lack of OD. The only problem is the tires rub the rear of the front fenders under certain turning conditions. I haven't flexed it out or anything but for daily driving they otherwise fit great so far.

The fenders have been trimmed just a bit at each bottom lip so I was thinking I could use zero rates to locate the axle forward an inch or so. I remember guys saying the front axles were actually located an inch or so rearward of center on these things from the factory and pushing them forward fixed the problem.

How far do I need to go forward and would this cause any problems with a stock suspension/steering? It has to fit in my garage so the 4" lift is out of the picture for the next year or so until we move south.

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

They should work out fine.
    The steering will possibly need major adjustment depending on how far you move if forward.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do not move the axle forward if you don't have to. The zero rate may give the lift you need without axle relocation. If you have to move the axle forward use the smallest amount of movement you can get away with. The factory push/pull steering doesn't work well with the axle moved forward very much. I read what the ORD guy said, but I don't agree. If you post this in the "Garage" section you will get more responses.

4. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Well, I have two posts with conflicting opinions. I posted it in the general forum to see what everybody thinks.

Thanks guys.