Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero rates under the front suspension of a stock '86 K30?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by AJMBLAZER, Oct 20, 2006.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

This may be a simple/stupid question but I've been out of the GM scene for a while. Please bear with me.

My '86 K30 M1008 CUCV has 36x12.5-16.5 HMMWV tires on it to overcome the 4.56 gears and lack of OD. The only problem is the tires rub the rear of the front fenders under certain turning conditions. I haven't flexed it out or anything but for daily driving they otherwise fit great so far.

The fenders have been trimmed just a bit at each bottom lip so I was thinking I could use zero rates to locate the axle forward an inch or so. I remember guys saying the front axles were actually located an inch or so rearward of center on these things from the factory and pushing them forward fixed the problem.

How far do I need to go forward and would this cause any problems with a stock suspension/steering? It has to fit in my garage so the 4" lift is out of the picture for the next year or so until we move south.

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

if you move the axle too far forward you may not be able to shorten the draglink enough.

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I think the zero rates would be a good idea. it will raise the front an inch and you could move the front axle an 1"-1.5" forward. should be able to fit the tires then if you have a little trimming and dont flex it out. I not certain but I dont think you will have problems with the draglength but someone else will have to tell you for sure. you could always switch it to crossover steering which is better and fairly easy since youve got a d60.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

You saw my post on this so ttt for ya.

5. broc944

broc944 1/2 ton status

On my Burb I moved the axle 1.5 inches and I was able to adjust the draglink enough. Have no clue if it would hold true with a M1008.

6. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

36s and no lift? thats sexy.... but seriously, 2.5" lift springs would work too..

7. reeser

reeser 1/2 ton status

what about an add a leaf? and i'd get some new to you front springs to put them in. i'm betting your front springs are sagged from sitting on the base holding up that heavy diesel. you could get an add a leaf for fairly cheap, or you could keep you eyes peeled here and elsewhere on the net and find some 4" fronts for dirt cheap. i bet with some patience you could find 4" front leafs for CHEAPER than new zero rates or add a leafs.

8. AJMBLAZER

Thanks for the advice guys, keep it coming.

I really like the idea of a 2.5" front leaf pack but again, can't right now. There's only a few inches of clearance between the top of the cab and head jamb of the garage door frame.:crazy: I figure a zero rate would be okay but 2" or so will be pushing my luck. Come in too fast or bump over something and CRUNCH/CRACK.:mad:

Now after we move it's getting at least a 2.5" lift and crossover steering...and and and and and...:laugh:

As far as the regular add-a-leaf...aside from the potential height issue...I dunno. It rides pretty good right now. People kept telling me it'd ride like crap but it rides pretty good. At least as well as my Ranger did and frankly...I think better than my buddy's '00 GMC Z71. Not quite as smooth over bumps but hey, it's a BEEG SFA.:D

Also, granted I have little experience with these things (drove some a few times in the Marines in the late '90's) and there isn't a handy period K30 around to compare to...but I don't think it's sagged. The springs have a nice positive arch like I *beleive* the 3/4+ trucks had, not the slightly negative that the 1/2 tons had....I think...

Confed, yeah it is damn sexy. I took it through a slightly offcamber situation today just going through the ditch in front of the house and I didn't hear the THUMP THUMP THUMP that it makes when you turn so I really think unless I flexed the wee out of it they fit pretty good. Mind you they're on the stock 16.5x6.5"(? on the width) wheels.

So has anyone actually used zero rates to space their front axle forward? People keep saying it's possible but no one's actually said they've specifically done this. broc?

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

You can use zero rates.

You can also drill a second hole in the perches to get the same result without gaining height. I did this to move my diff 1.25" forward about three years ago. This was with sagged 4" springs and it kept the 40's out of the sheetmetal a lot better.

The draglink will tolerate an inch pretty easy.

Rene

10. AJMBLAZER

Cool, thanks tRusty. I'll start skipping the candy machine at work and saving my change for some zero rates.:D

11. tRustyK5

Is the truck level right now or are you planning on 4 zero rates? Have you considered a 1" body lift and redrilling the perches? I can't tell you how many times I've been under my truck and realizing that what i'm doing would be 5 times harder without that 1" body lift.

Rene

12. AJMBLAZER

I was thinking of zero rates in the front. It's not level now and wouldn't be even with the zero rates, has a good 3/4-1 ton rake to it.

Hrm...body lift eh...anybody make poly body bushings for these?

13. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

try lmc.com or performance suspension technologies...

14. tRustyK5

I'm pretty sure you can get all new poly body mounts with the 1" body lift from ORD. My 1" BL kit had all the hardware and poly mounts. I got it "NIB" from someone that had bought it from ORD.

Rene

15. 85-m1028

85-m1028 1/2 ton status

I run 35" tires on mine with no lift?? just minor triiming and some inner fender masage with the old 8lb sledge and a 2x4, I rub not, even at full lock full stuff!! I run the poly body mounts and it makes a big difference

yes and it is sexy!!!:laugh: