Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rates up front

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by YELL78, Jan 2, 2007.

1. YELL78

YELL78 Registered Member

hey guys just wondering how many of you run zero rates up front, if so what do you think of them can you tell they are there and are they safe? I know that ORD says they are safe because you attach them to the springs but i just wanted your opinions also what do you guys torque the u bolts to i torqued mine to like 120 ftlbs? Thanks for your help hope everyone had a great new year.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Yes its OK . And I didn't know there was a proper torque spec :wink1: My lift springs and u-bolts didn't have one . I did the usual tighten them as tight as I could , and retighten them after so many miles . And of course check them periodically . More often if you actually wheel .

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yup I run some homemade ones. cut down overloads from rear springs but bolted into the spring pack just like real zero rates. only difference I noticed was an increase in height. I also tighten them down as tight as I can and check them often.

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Did it before, about to do it again. Never had any problems.

5. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I ran 0 rates for a while and the only reason i removed them was because i converted to cross steer and the bar was hitting my springs.

I did a search about 3 weeks ago for ubolt torques and the thread i found said 145lbs, that seemed a little high to me so i torqued mine at 125 lbs. If i ever get finished where i can drive it again i'll let you know if the front end stays on :D

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I failed inspection 2 years ago.... my front ubolts were loose... well that was cuz I just put them on and they settled....

anyway.... what the guy told me to do for torque specs is grab a 6' pipe and a breaker bar and keep tightening till ya cant tighten anymore... :haha:

I now have zero rates and need to go through inspection on 1/11... so we will see what they say.. im going to print out the add from ord and take so if they ask.......