Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

zero rates

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by georgiared84, Oct 30, 2002.

1. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Okay, stupid question here. What is meant by zero rate springs? I'm looking into ways to raise mine an inch or two and keep running into that term. Sorry, I'm not to familiar with a lot of suspension terms. All my lift experience comes from finding junked longer springs and heatin and beatin them into a lift. (figured I try to do this one right)

2. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

From what I understand, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, zero-rate springs are leafs that go in your spring pack, but don't do any supporting with spring action. A 1" zero-rate is a flat leaf, 1" thick..so it lifts your vehicle 1".
    My question is...are zero rates safe for the front? How would it be any different than a block in the front...which is a super no-no?

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Zero rate is a fancy name for a block that you bolt to the spring pack. they aren't really a block, since they are bolted to the pack, and they aren't really an add a leaf, since they aren't any longer than the spring perch. Stephen Watson came up with the term "zero rate add-a-leaf" since they bolt to the pack like an add a leaf, but do not increase the spring rate. That's the story I heard, anyways. </font color>

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Zero rates are short lift blocks. They are different because they actually attach to the leaf packs with the center pin. Some of them are drilled for offset pins to move the axle forward or back.

I dont really see much of a problem with running them in the front because they attach with the center pin and they also arent that tall compared to the width. The main concern with blocks in the front is side force causing them to pop out. This would pretty much be eliminated with the zero rates.

6. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, that's what I thought...I'm not planning on doing it...only curious.

7. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I am running some zero rate springs in the front to move the axle foward one inch and down one inch to help with no sway bar and 35s with 4 inch (now 5).