Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zero- Tollerance- think it works?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MudNurI, Jan 12, 2003.

1. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

reading over these, I just can't imagine HOW this works..

Candy, Little Boy? (November 1997)
    A Colorado Springs, Colo., school district says it did the right thing when it suspended 6-year-old Seamus Morris under the school's zero-tolerance drug policy. The drug? Lemon drops. Taylor Elementary School administrators called an ambulance after a teacher saw the boy give another student some candy, which was a brand teachers didn't recognize. "It was not something you would purchase in a grocery store," a district spokesman said. "It was from a health-food store." A spokesman for St. Claire's Lemon Tarts, however, noted that the candy is indeed sold in Colorado's largest grocery store chain. School officials were not impressed, and not only upheld the half-day suspension, but told the boy's mother that a child who brings candy to school is comparable to a teen who takes a gun to school. (UPI) ...Maybe it's time for a "zero-tolerance policy" toward idiotic school administrators.

Candy, Little Boy? II (November 1997 -- the next story after "Candy, Little Boy?" above)
    A 10-year-old girl at McElwain Elementary in Thornton, Colo., was one of a group of girls who "repeatedly" asked a certain boy on the playground if he liked them. The boy complained to a teacher, so school administrators, citing the district's "zero-tolerance sexual harassment policy", decided to suspend her. After an outcry from outraged parents, the school changed its mind. A district spokeswoman said school officials "probably" overreacted, but "it's all in how you look at it." (UPI) ...Same apple, different worms.

Detrick Washington, 25, was at his business partner's San Francisco, Calif., home office when two men forced their way in. The robbers got $3,000 from the safe, but figured there must be more and beat and cut their victims to get them to talk. "I'll go and kill the kids and that girl if you don't give me the rest of the money," one of the robbers said. While they ransacked the home, Washington saw his chance: one robber put his gun down, and Washington grabbed it. When the robber lunged at him, Washington shot him. He then handed the gun to his partner to cover the other robber and went to call police. "Stay down! Don't move! Don't get up!" his friend told the second robber after Washington left the room. Then Washington heard, "He's getting up, he's getting up!" and a shot rang out -- the second robber was killed too. "He took a chance. I believe we could call him a hero," police Inspector Armand Gordon said. Washington "basically saved five people's lives, including his own" by grabbing the gun. Police ruled the shooting justified, yet Washington is in jail: he is on parole from a previous drug conviction, and parole rules say parolees cannot "possess" a firearm. Because Washington grabbed the robber's gun, he was in "possession" of the weapon and violated his parole. (San Francisco Chronicle) ...And here you thought "zero tolerance" was only for school kids

Zero tollerance, it ain't all good

Brandy

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Heard a story out of Colorado the other day. A kid got expelled for playing with a laser pointer during class. Wasn't doing anything threatening or anything. Check this out, the school has a no-tolerance policy for firearms and that is what the school is calling the laser pointer. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Give me an F'n break. So what the hell is a good old fist fight out behind the gym in school now "Intent to commit bodily harm"

4. K5Kell

K5Kell Guest

I actually had a friend get expelled recently because one of his friends punched another kid. my ex-school(I got outta there!) claimed that he had planned the whole thing out and wanted the cops to charge him with conspiracy or something like that. The kid that actually did the punching got in less trouble. hows that for f***ked up!
    -Kell-

5. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

It is my opinion that teachers are generally good (not all, but I'm married to a good one) The administrators are the FAWKING IDIOTS. Isn't it ironic that the feel good hippies grew up to be the lawsuit driven oppressors of our time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Zero tollerance is a bad thing in my opinion !!!!!!!!

7. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Cudn't agree with you more...my kids have some of the best teachers- 100% support of them....my 1st grader actually has the same teacher I had in 2nd grade- pretty cool..I LOVED her when I was there, and now my daughter does.

I've found in dealing with problems that have arrisen at school with my kids (bullys on the bus etc..) that it's mainly the administrators that have a hair across the a**....when my kindergartner can come off the bus crying because a 5th grader was throwing sh*t at her- I tend to get a bit upset. Nothing was done to the kid....until that is I threatened to file charges against the kid, his parents, and the school district...for some reason, after I made that point, they decided the boy should not be on the bus anymore...

I even had the administrator tell me "well, you are able to drive the girls to school, why don't you just do that"...I was like- ummmmm wait a second- a big yellow school bus drives by my house every day- I pay property taxes, which go to the school district- I pay YOUR salary...and you want me to go out of my way?? I don't think so- how about the kid that is causing the problems- do something with him....UUGGHHHH

(rant off)

Brandy