Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zexel Torsen differentials?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Mar 4, 2001.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just wondering if anyone has ever seen or used these?

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.torsen.com>http://www.torsen.com</A>

Seems pretty interesting, and they are the units that HUMVEE's and Hummers have. I've driven many HUMVEE's with their 37" tires, and never had a problem offroad or with reliability. Sounds to me like they are the opposite of most limited slips, in that they are always on, when they need to they divide the power between the two sides.

Seems like a candidate for my rear axle since I am not sure if I am going to ever put in a bigger rear axle and I will be using the vehicle to tow with.

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 2.5" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have used a Torsen on a formula style racecar (one out of a Audi Quatro). They work VERY well! It is a torque-biasing differential. It sends the most torque to the wheel with the most traction. In this way it is much better than a limited slip (which only slows down a wheel that is already slipping unless a lot of preload is used). Also when you lift one wheel off the ground all you have to do is apply slight brake pressure to nearly lock up the axle like a locker. They also are easier on the axle than a locker and drive like an open diff on the street. Sounds like the perfect diff…well it is if you can afford it! They don’t make them for that many applications at this time (only for the rear I think). The Detroit Truetrack is just a copy of the Torsen and they have more 4x4 applications. The Torsen in my opinion is better than anything else. You can even get it in many different biasing ratios.

3. iceman

iceman 1/2 ton status

I believe the company was bought out by tractech and is now being sold as the detroit truetrac check into it. Let me know Iceman

4. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I know one of the applications engineers for Torsen and I've talked to him about their diffs. It works the same as a TrueTrac but it's built a bit better. The diffs in a hummer are AMC 20's with gears somewhere around 2.73's. The geared hubs keep the diffs from taking a lot of stress so he wasn't sure how a Torsen would hold up in a rockcrawler. He wanted to use my truck as a test but they wanted over $600 for a unit and since I got an unused Truetrac from a friend for $150 it never happened. They design mostly for OEM applications so they don't offer very many aftermarket applications. I guess you could try one but $600 is a lot to pay for a limited slip, I'd buy an ARB first. Of course he did spend a week last month testing with Rob MacCachren's new CORR truck so maybe it would hold up pretty well.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org

5. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

I posted this on ORC/Chevy, and the gist I got was that the work well, but don't respond well to big tires and offroading. As was stated the HUMVEE has geared hubs so the diff doesn't take as much strain.
    To bad, sounded great in concept. Guess I will have to keep looking for a traction adding differential that isn't weak like a limited slip or hard driving like a locker.[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350 TBI, 4L60, 3" Flowmaster, K&N, 2.5" Rancho, 285/75R16 on 16x8 Baja's[​IMG]