Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ZF-S6-650 6 speed manual tranny

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by tRustyK5, May 12, 2004.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

$2800 complete from GM...

The more I look at the ratios and stuff the more I want this tranny /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/transmissions/gmpow/ml6.htm

I'm working a ton of overtime right now and can probably swing it in another month or so...if I can find one out of a wreck locally. They usually get 50% of what the new part costs or so. The problem is they were intro'd in 01 and the majority of people went with the Allison. So the hard part might be finding one.

Anyone have a newer truck with one of these? I hear they shift exceptionally smooth with the ratios being nice and close together. Should bring out the best in the 6.2 and improve freeway diveability by quite a bit.

I'm looking to run some 37" MT/R's with it, combined with the 4.56 gears should have my cruise rpm down to 1950 rpm or so. I'll keep the TSL's for trail only...

Rene

2. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

Does it use an integral bellhousing?

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Damn nice.. you lucky !@#!. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

it is cerainly a very nice tranny, and it certainly takes up that 3/4 shift on the NV4500. Now, question is? Whats wrong with the NV5600? Is this tranny better?

The old 5speed ZF wasnt so good.....IIRC

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, aluminum case and integral bellhousing. Rated for 520 lbs of torque and a vehicle GCWR of 26,000 lbs. It's considered to be a medium duty tranny.

Nothing wrong with the NV5600 at all...except as far as I can tell it's Dodge only. The Ford's and the GM trucks both use the ZF. The NV5600 is about 80 lbs heavier too...due to the cast iron case.

Rene

5. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

Ill tell ya in september when my new truck arrives at the dealer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif