Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Ziebart and undercoating worth it?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by AJMBLAZER, Nov 22, 2001.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay, so I'm pretty interested in this 1980 Jimmy. It's in absolutely great shape, only has minor surface rust on the undersides, frame mostly. It came from Nevada to Michigan about 3 months ago. So if I get it, I need to do something about it's "virgin" undersides FAST, before winter snow and slush and the road salt demon get here. My family has always gotten our cars from the dealerships undercoated, and if we didn't get it from a dealership we got it undercoated at Ziebart. My current 92 Blazer had the full Ziebart package from new and it had no problems for 6 Michigan winters, then I moved to SoCal with it.[​IMG] Now that I'm looking at this truck, several people have told me that I shouldn't get it undercoated or Ziebarted.

So how do you guys feel about the stuff?

Any experiences?

It's $330 for the full undercoating package, so I don't want to do something that will cause it to rust out faster.[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff [​IMG]

2. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I don't think anything is wrong w/ their undercoating... I just think it is kinda spendy. I think you could POR15 the underside and either Herculine or undercoat over it and get better protection, Just is going to the troble to do it yourself. I actually am in the process of going to the next length in protection which is Herculining the area from the silverado stripe down (My truck is black their anyways). Depending on the color you could selet one of Herulines colors or simply brush on a clearcoat protection like the UV coat I found by Zerorust. This will be going over the Herculiner to furter protect the liner from UV rays and fading.

I guess after living all of my 24 years here in the rust belt I pretty don't think there is a way to totall protect a vehicle. No matter what the salt and crude gets in. The newer vehicles with all the plastic and galvanized steel help, but ideally someone needs to come up with something that will keep the roads clean yet not eat our vehicles.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I have never dealt with Ziebart. But I did buy a truck that had gone thru that program.
    That truck turned out to be a total rust bucket. [​IMG]
    I'm not saying Ziebart is bad, just that I had a truck that did not last with that stuff.

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Well, a little butchery will help to keep the rockers intact. If the rocker still has the backing plate, dump it. All they do is trap moisture and mud and cause nice big ol' holes. You're probably not as cut happy as I would be though (I wouldnt go as far to trim fenders or anything). You could also drill some holes in the rockers (backin plate side) and load them up with oil and then put plugs back in the holes. I think chainsaw oil is a good one to use, I've heard of people using about anything. A little testimonial for oil would be around the transfer case. Since its an '80 that would mean it would have a 205 t-case, which i think is aslip yoke. There should be oil slung all over around the back of it (quirk of a slip yoke). See how nice the metal is? I checked it out on my POS rusted out '81 Blazer and its the only rust free spot on the underside. Oil is messy, but it should help your rockers.

<a target="_blank" href=http://new.wavlist.com/movies/031/ag-blow.wav>"I ain't nobody, dork."</a>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I have never heard of ziebert- BUT if you look at all those Subaru's that were "rusty jones'd" they are all rust buckets. We have lived in Vermont, for ever, and have NEVER undercoated anything we own- nothing is rusted here, but we do wash it quite a bit, even in the winter-- I think its a personal preference- but, I can think of much more to spend my money on, I mean do they have any sort of guarantee that it wont rust?

OH by the way- our new truck, in the warranty book- its stated that any undercoating done will void GM's rust warranty- why would that be? just a though!
    --Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

From the time GM started building cars till about 87 they did nothing from the factory to rust proof. NOTHING. In 87 they started galvanizing the body to prevent rust. that worked great for the rust....too bad the paint wouldn't stick [​IMG].
    Any area in that body that would not get hit by the spray gun as the painted it has BARE metal. The inside of the rockers are bare, the inside of the door jams, around the windshoild, heck there probably isn't pain in the cowel box.
    What Ziebart is supose to do is drill holes (in places that are not noticable) so they can stick a wand into thos areas to put the rust proofer. You can buy kits to do this yourselfe from places like J.C. Whitney and Eastwood. If that truck is from Nevada and it doesn't have rust then do something to prevent it from getting it.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

7. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Okay Grim, if it were your truck, and you lived here, what would you do?

mudnuri, it's a 1980, any warranty it had is LONG gone.[​IMG]

1992 Blazer Sport, 350, TH700, 2" Rancho[​IMG], 285/75R16 AT's, Flowmaster, K&N, MSD stuff [​IMG]

8. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The reason undercoating lets it rust out so bad is because moisture gets trapped between the body and the undercoating. It cant evaporate so it just eats into the metal. My dad had a car back in michigan that he rebuilt the only thing that rusted out was the door and fender he bought that had undercoating on the already.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

I had my 88 Ziebarted at the dealer when new. It's a pretty rusted truck now. Of course I lived on the beach for 10 years! I do not think the Ziebart prevented rust ... at all!

10. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Me. I'm a cheap bastard and nobody does anything as well as I can (at least in my self centered mind.) I would be ordering the rust proofing kit ( it has this long wand you can send through 3.8 hole and shoots sideways so you can coat internal cavity's) from Eastwood and drilling holes into the back side of the rockers and getting something in there to cover up that bare steel. I'd at least Hurculine the floors to prevent any salt off your shooes sitting in the carpet and eating through the floors. I would also run the rust proofer up into the fender wells on the rear 1/4s over the wheel arch. they are prone to collecting crud up there but you got to be sure it's clean and dry to biging with and that's a challange.
    I would take the front clip loose and back it off enough so that I could get into the lower front quarters and coat up in there. Any crap that gets in the cowell ends up in the bottom of the front fenders (I have to repair one side of the Ladys 79 for this right now). With the front clip about 6 inches foward you can run the rust proofer wand into the drain holes on the cowel boxes after making sure they are clean and dry. Then if this truck was in that good of shape I would park it in the garage for the winter and pick up a $1000 bomber rusted out POS truck.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

I wasn't saying it was new, what my point was, is it guaranteed? I mean are you going to be spending the money to rust proof it to only have it rust out in a few years? I just wouldnt personally spend the money on it unless you could bring the rig back to them in 5-10 years, and have them replace the panels- That's what I meant- But there is a lot of stuff that people do to there rigs that others wouldn't, I'd say if you have had it done on other rigs, and its held up go for it- But we live in Vermont, road salt capital of the world, and I have never heard of it- ???

--Brandy

IF ONLY THE 4 YEAR OLD COULD TURN A WRENCH
    1986 K5 4" skyjacker suspension 3 " body, 14 bolt rear 12 bolt dana 44 front, TIRED ol 305-

12. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I for one hate Zeibart. Every vehicle I've seen with it has been a rusted out POS. The Zeibart coating does not bond well to either the painted surface or bare steel inside the panels. What happens then is now you have an access hole (drilled by Zeibart for you...) for moisture to gain access easier. Then as the coating begins to lift off the surface the salt and moisture gets trapped between the coating and the steel you're trying to protect. The end result seems to be a more thoroughly rusted vehicle.

I would thoroughly clean the underside of the truck often and keep it parked in the winter.

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>