Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

ZIEBART Fire Hazard ??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Indyblazer, Aug 20, 2005.

1. Indyblazer

Indyblazer Registered Member

I bought a Rust Free 84 K5 Blazer from North Carolina. Yes, it is totally RUST FREE! I took it to my local Ziebart Shop for their rust treatment. When I inspected the work, I asked why they did not spray the radiator support or the firewall in the engine compartment. My local dealer said (direct quote) "Ziebart is petroleum based. Heat from the radiator will cause Ziebart spray to catch on fire". He said he couldn't spray the firewall either because "Engine heat would cause the petroleum based Ziebart spray to catch on fire".

Does Ziebart turn your vehicle into the Hindenburg or did this guy do a lousy job and then lie about it?

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

4. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

i dont think so.

i used to work at kuntz electroplateing. witched chrome plated parts for the big 3 and many others, all steel parts ) like silverado bumpers, colorado bumpers, and steel wheels) all got a coating of zebart on the back side, that emedatly when thru an oven and the came out pritty hot on the other side.

there was not fire protection in the spray booth or oven so i dont think i would worry about the fire wall it doesent get that hot

5. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

My 70 got has the petro based rustproofing on the firewall, but not the rad support. Looks like it has been on there for many years, with no signs of melting or fire damage.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I sprayed both those areas and I havent had a problem... it was a PITA to mask verything off so maybe thats why they dont do it

Many years ago when i lived on the east coast I always had my trucks zibarted and they alway did the firewall and engine compartment... they also kept the truck for three days and it was spendy.... like 1200-2000 bucks