Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Zion, Moab, Colorado Springs, Things to check out?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by camok5, Jul 6, 2005.

1. camok5

camok5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

My girlfriend and I are taking a road trip( not in a 4x4) through these cities and I would like to know what cool places or events etc. we should check out. I know alot of members live and have visited these places so any help would be great? Also we plan on camping in Moab and Zion so if you have any good suggestions on which camp grounds are the best?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

I'm going to be in Colorado Springs in a couple of weeks. I did an online search and found all kinds of good stuff. Royal Gorge, Pike's Peak, just to name a couple....

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

My friend and I are taking a road trip in August and including Moab in our plans. You can rent slightly modified heeps for like $120 per day if you want to run a few light trails. Otherwise, make sure to check out Arches National Park and Canyonlands National Park. I'm really looking forward to seeing both...and since we'll be in an '01 Grand Prix...the trail riding isn't an option for us.

4. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Zions Park is one of my favorite places. You couldn't go wrong with visiting the typical tourist hikes and stuff. You definitely need to check out Angels Landing. The view straight down both sides of a 1000' ledge is certainly memorable. We have always camped right in the park, but may be crowded depending when you are there.

5. camok5

Angles landing sounds like something I should check out. Has anyone been up the narrows in Zion, also I plan on going on this trip in late Septemper?

6. tacoma

tacoma 1/2 ton status

Angel's Landing is a trip. Go in the morning as early as you can as the hike up is in the sun for a good chunk, and it goes UP... like, steep stairs and switchbacks, just to get to the fin that goes out to the spire there. Awesome view.

There is good camping west of Springdale a bit.. head out on the main road out of town, couple miles or so, there will be trees on the left and a turnoff... quiet, comfy, and best of all FREE. If memory serves, you will crest a hill before the turnoff. Sorry to be so vague, it's been a while!

The Narrows are an iffy proposition in September. If it is rainy at all, they won't let you up there, kind of a slot canyon and that's just no good w/rain. I think there is some kind of waiver you have to sign too, but I can't remember. We tried to go up there but it's a big hike, it was about 3,000* when we went in July and I believe all the permits were taken anyway.

Grafton is also right near there, they filmed part of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid there I think.. nice ride through the desert, dirt road mostly and there's about 7 buildings there.. private property, so be cool. Kind of neat to see it. Get directions in Springdale. If you want to stay in a hotel, head east through Zion to Mt.Carmel Junction, and go north at the intersection. There is a cheap place there that's not too bad. The big chain hotel there has decent food, too.

Moab is of course full of trails and neat stuff. Point and shoot, it's all good.

7. kyser_soze

kyser_soze 1/2 ton status

If your going by Moab check out Arches National Park
    I seen natural bridges, Zion, Brice canyon, The mexican hat on a driveby.
    Valley of the Gods drive-through
    bring cameras and film, or you will regeret it.
    If you do the National park thing get an annual pass, you'll save money.

8. camok5

Thanks for all the great advice but for being called Coloradok5 :D I am surprized no one has any spots in Colorado Springs?

9. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

Not really too much in Colorado Springs directly. Most things are 30-50 miles from. In C/S, the big site would be Garden of the Gods Park. Pretty neat. Also is the Pro Rodea Hall of Fame if you like that sorta thing. I've never been, but have been told it's lame. PM me when you start to get close to heading to C/S & I'll give you my #.

10. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    You might try this http://www.caveofthewinds.com/ next to CO. Springs.
    It's pretty cool and not too much $$$. Manitu Springs is kinda nice too.
    If you have the time and you head to Moab through southern Colorado, you might stop at Mesa Verde National Park http://www.nps.gov/meve/home.htm
    or http://www.mesa.verde.national-park.com/
    and Durango can be fun too. Lots of places to see on that loop so don't worry, just go for it.
    As for camping in Moab, just check out there web site and pick what YOU like
    http://www.moab-utah.com/
    I could tell you more but I think you will run out of time :D

11. woods

woods Registered Member

Cave of the winds is pretty cool, if you like rock formations. Did it like 2 yrs ago.

There's also the pike's peak cog railway which is I think like 36 bucks round trip. Definitely worth it IMO http://www.cograilway.com/default.asp

Seven falls is pretty cool, if it actually has water, not sure this time of the year. http://www.sevenfalls.com/

Palmer Park is in the middle of colorado springs- It has 27 miles of hiking/running/mountain biking trails. God I love this park its like 15 minutes from me, I'm there aleast 3 times a week. Lots of cool rock formations
    http://stevegarufi.com/palmerpark.htm

Can't think of anything else offhand

12. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

Yeah, definitely check out Angels Landing, it is a pretty sweet view and it's an easy hike that doesn't take a long time.

My family and some friends attempted the narrows back when I was in 6th grade. Apparently it was closed, but the only sign that it was closed was a 3x5 card a ways away from the trail head. Some high school kids we were with got pretty seriously injured and had to be helicoptered out. There were 19 or 21 of us (I forget) and all but two of us spent the night in the canyon with soaking wet clothes and hypothermia while the other two went on to get help - but we didn't know if they actually made it out or drowned or what. That was easily the longest night of my life. I look forward to doing it again when the water level is not insanely high. If conditions permit I would go for it, but prepare to get wet.

If time is an issue I think angels landing is a lot quicker. But those slot canyons are pretty cool too. Definitely take pictures.

If you enjoy driving there is the "alpine loop" that is a pretty drive. I think it is up provo canyon. Also up provo canyon is sundance ski resort owned by robert redford - they sometimes have stuff going on there. Plus they have a pretty nice resturaunt at sundance, I think it is called the treehouse. Provo and SLC might be further north than you are planning on going though.

13. camok5

I want to do the narrows but only if it safe. How long a hike is Angles Landing?

14. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

COLORADO: Royal Gorge is definitly cool. People seem to like to visit the Air Force Academy. Colorado Springs also has the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. I don't know if you can see much, but Cheyenne Mountain (NORAD) is really neat. I've done a tour, but that was with a family member and before 9/11, so I don't know if you can get a tour these days. I don't think you can go to Colorado Springs without visiting Pikes Peak, and definitely take the cog. There's a neat little place called Seven Falls, but I can't remember a lot of details about it. We stayed at a very nice Bed & Breakfast there called Red Crags Inn. Like Burblover said, Garden of the Gods is a popular destination.

UTAH: I've been to Bryce Cayon and Capitol Reef, and I thought they were both worth seeing. I spent a week in Bryce and got to see quite a bit of it. I was only in Capitol Reef for a few hours, but I would like to go back; it was very impressive visually. Canyonlands is my favorite place around Moab. Anything there is worth seeing. You can see some neat stuff in Arches in an easy day.

15. mr_blasto

mr_blasto 1/2 ton status

This is all from memory, so i could be totally off, but I think we were able to fiugre out the plan for the day by 10 am, and I think we were done around 4 pm. Could be less could be more depending on a lot of things, obviously, but that's my best guess from what I remember.

16. BurbLover

BurbLover 1/2 ton status

IIRC, Seven falls was the motivation for the song America the Beautiful. I've been told it's really neat to visit. Right next to the falls is the Cheyenne Mtn Zoo. AWESOME ZOO!!! I'd recommend this. This summer I think they have a white lion, among other attractions.

17. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

I bet you could go up into the narrows pretty safely in september. It is supposed to be a desert after all. You can at least see the entrance of it. In order to go up into it very far, you are wading against a current alot of the time.
    Just go as far as you feel like and turn around. The water will be a nice break in the late summer heat of Sept.

It's definitely worth spending at least a couple of hours there. It is very pretty. If you were staying longer, there is a trip that you can make from the top and come into the main part of the park, but I believe this is more than a day trip